Finally, a Great Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The swell models were wrong again. It was supposed to be calm today but we had four foot swells at six seconds interval. The surface water was green and I was anticipating another poor dive. I was downright giddy as I saw the sand ripples and reef come into view from high above. Kevin Lee and I dived this same reef two weeks ago and could barely see five feet. It was close to twenty-five feet today.

I decided to call this spot Halfway Reef. It's between Kevin's Reef and Merry's Reef and it sounds better than Kevin's Reef North. Not only is it a great reef to dive but we saw things we haven't seen in a long time and one animal we have never seen.

A large six inch feather duster worm waved in the surge as I swam along the west side of the reef. I approached slowly so I could get a photo or two before it closed up. Not only did I get a dozen shots but Kevin spent a long time firing away as well. I finally saw it close during our second dive but it opened again within thirty seconds.

Halfway%20Reef%20Feather%20duster%20worm_zpskq8avfud.jpg

Halfway%20Reef%20Feather%20duster%20worm%202_zpsy6rbwexh.jpg

We also found twenty-one species of nudibranchs, more than we've ever found in one day.

As I ascended from the first dive I spotted a thirty feet siphonophore. It took me a few moments to get Kevin's attention but once he saw it his strobes began flashing away.

Halfway%20Reef%20Praya%20dubia%20Giant%20siphonophore_zpsnutuypsz.jpg

The photos from these dives can be viewed at Latest SoCal Dives

When I read a 30' feet siphonophore, I had to look again, Haa! ...though they do get to 100' I hear. Nice huge feather duster! and 21 Nudis, Wow! ;~)

Glad you guys had good diving. Ah, the seasoned scuba diver perspective - on seeing a large, stinging organism with them in cold water with 25 foot viz....COOOOOOLLL...let's take pictures!

Richard.

It's so rare to see 25 feet around here that I would have taken macro shots of a shark's teeth if it held still enough. You should see us when there are actually jelly swarms here. We take turns jumping in miles offshore hanging from a liftbag while drifting with the current, hoping that the person left on the boat has no mechanical issues or loses us in the fog. Drifting into the shipping lanes presents a whole new level of fun.

When I read a 30' feet siphonophore, I had to look again, Haa! ...though they do get to 100' I hear. Nice huge feather duster! and 21 Nudis, Wow! ;~)
When I spied it I thought it was a bare kelp stipe. As it got closer I thought it was a line from an abandoned lobster trap. Once I saw the various parts I knew what it was. I thought about dragging it down to Kevin but my spg was screaming at me to get outta there.

Oh beautiful photos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom