Finally got in the water again and looking for advice. (Update from Previous Post)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, dat, on the dryglove thing. The lack of both dexterity and sensitivity becomes a big deal, especially when you're working blind.

Dunno about deco-on-bottom being more common, though. I'm in the Atlanta area, and my instructor is a big proponent of deco-on-top. The preference may be a regional thing, or maybe it's just instructor-based.

Can you see the MOD on those top mounted bottles? Where is the label and can it be verified by both you and a buddy?

Nobody I know can see a top mounted bottle, so it ends up as a CF, partially unclipping it to rotate the bottle forward and check it. Or Russian roulette and not actually following good gas switch practices.

I will say, though, that Technical SM will likely challenge you. Prepping, slinging, and deploying deco cylinders in SM is far more complex than using two cylinders, and wearing a drysuit adds another layer of complexity.
Technical sidemount cert doesn’t require any deco or stage cylinders, at least mine didn’t. If you are diving with them and haven’t learned in sidemount I’m sure a decent TS instructor can cover those too.

Technical sidemount cert doesn’t require any deco or stage cylinders, at least mine didn’t. If you are diving with them and haven’t learned in sidemount I’m sure a decent TS instructor can cover those too.

Deco and stage bottles ARE the difference between tech and non-tech SM. What did your tech SM class cover then?

Deco and stage bottles ARE the difference between tech and non-tech SM. What did your tech SM class cover then?
What Marie13 said.

Can you see the MOD on those top mounted bottles? Where is the label and can it be verified by both you and a buddy?
I've got a small label on the tank shoulder with mix and MOD, and a large MOD label on the tank side. With my current configuration, I can pull the tank forward a bit and see the shoulder marking.

Nobody I know can see a top mounted bottle, so it ends up as a CF, partially unclipping it to rotate the bottle forward and check it. Or Russian roulette and not actually following good gas switch practices.
I'll take your comments into consideration and ask my instructor.

@stretchthepenn

My instructor hasn’t indicated a preference either way. She’s mostly into doing what works for an individual.

I just wanted to clarify I was referring to bottom leash being a bungee, not top mounted deco bottles!

@jtsfour

You don’t need the tech SM class, but you do need someone to show you how to properly rig deco bottles and the skills needed to carry/drop/pick them up. A workshop with a competent SM tech instructor is another possibility. That’s what I’m doing. Guy dives SM exclusively.

@jtsfour

You don’t need the tech SM class, but you do need someone to show you how to properly rig deco bottles and the skills needed to carry/drop/pick them up. A workshop with a competent SM tech instructor is another possibility. That’s what I’m doing. Guy dives SM exclusively.

That’s what I plan on. When I talk to an instructor about AN/DP I’ll set aside some time to meet and learn how to run multiple bottles.

That’s what I plan on. When I talk to an instructor about AN/DP I’ll set aside some time to meet and learn how to run multiple bottles.

From all the bottle wrangling the last two weekends, I can definitely say you need help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom