Finally the media is paying attention!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice info (as usual), Coach! Thanks!

I loved the Stanford reference. I took a look at the stair climbers after I read the article. Everyone was resting their arms. I told my trainer about the research... he too, was surprised.

Thanks Steve! I'm sure you are not surprised on HOW MUCH faith people put in those skewed readings. I was involved in a research testing the tolerance of people to prolongued exposure to cold environment. Several of the factors included age, gender, body composition, and cardiovascular capacity in the form of VO2 Peak.

All the people were hooked up to an analyzer that measured their gas consumption and composition of exhaled gas. Many of the participants were students of the Exercise Science department, so they wanted their 02 consumption readings from their VO2 Peak to calculate their calorie consumption. Those VO2 tests were brutal and a lot of work in a short period of time. Needless to say that ALL got their bubbles busted when reality did not come even close to expectations.

Interestingly, from my own observations, I have been noticing how those calculations have been getting more and more exagerated. Now I hear all the time people claiming how they burned between 500 to 800 calories (or more) for a meager 40-45 minutes of exercise. 10 years ago it was an accomplishment to burn over 350 calories! Yet waistlines keep expanding.

Not that it is not possible to burn those large amount of calories in that small amount of time, but if one did, the depletion of glycogen, huge hormonal shift, and fried nervous system would render the average person useless for about 4-6 days. There are a few genetic gifted specimens out there, but they are more the exception than the norm.

Good health & happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom