• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Financial planning, compressor

Discussion in 'Compressors, Boosters & Blending Systems' started by formernuke, May 5, 2021.

1. VikingDives

VikingDives Mostly Harmless ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Single phase, I assume? You might want to look at the coltri mch 8 or 11. I have an mch 6 that I'm pretty happy with, but it's not beefy enough to fill stage bottles. Some people on here don't like coltri, but I haven't seen much evidence that they are any worse than any other compressor.

2. RayfromTX

RayfromTX Student Of Gas Mixology Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    In our PM you described a large shop fan. That's fine but better is higher velocity more concentrated air movement. I have a small tornado fan the same diameter as the cooling shroud which I place in front of and lined up with the compressor to greatly increase air flow through the shroud. They also compromised cooling for safety with the fan shroud assembly. You should never operate the unit with the fan cover removed but I do. I'm the only one here when pumping. These two measures lowered head external temperatures measured by an infrared tester by more than 20 degrees f I have never run it in elevated outdoor temperatures so I can't tell you what the impact is for running it in a friendly environment.

It is loud. Use very good hearing protection. It will still irritate my tinnitus and I use shooting muffs and sometimes plugs as well.

3. rob.mwpropane

rob.mwpropane Contributor

This what I'm using at the moment;

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...NeRVeCnWYeafN1j4fzwaAv1XEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you think there's something that I could get that would be better please post a link.

Thanks!

4. RayfromTX

RayfromTX Student Of Gas Mixology Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    rob.mwpropane likes this.
  5. rob.mwpropane

Man do I like your setup.... I'm about 1/2 or maybe 1/3 of the way there, lol.

I'll look for a fan like that. The one I use is a bit overkill, but I'll still use it to blow the exhaust away.

6. rob.mwpropane