‘finclip’ - anyone else try these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hanging from a dive boat ladder, trying to bend down to loosen a traditional clip was a near impossible task.
Being able to reach the top of the back piece of the Finclip, pop it down to loosen the fin, and with the leverage of the stiff back piece to push the fin off, I am now free and fully self-sufficient in the water.

Well , I disagree with your comment !......

1.) It is difference between GOOD INSTRUCTOR and average ''most of them'' that you learn first how to (enter) jump /go in the water. Funny but true !
Sorry but NO ONE learn that , even me , so I have same problems , I know them well !
I went through that ( learning DIR F ) when you have some equipment to deal with and you don't want that equipment kill you on the boat or even ladder. How to put your fins ON/OFF floating in water ... most simple thing I never do before ?!!
Find some instructions on YouTube and analyze them ... take time
( lean back , relax ,right knee over left to get support ,........

2.) Put right straps on fins

Universal Spring Fin Straps XS Scuba | Plaukmenys | DIR | www.divingshop.lt - Diving / Spearfishing / DIR -Diving / Diving Courses / Travel

I have DIY version with ''garden hose ''on spring it is even simpler to put them ON/OFF but these on link have better grip .
Also must be properly installed because inside of spring is protection wrap to prevent ''over'' pretending spring

3.) Point is in very fine details ... if you have RIGHT instructor he or she will show them to you.

4. ) I don't like to cheer to my favorite or force my opinion to you , ever ...... but truly these things
WORKS...FOR EVERYONE
( I have verbal fights with my friends , until they simply show me procedure , from that time I know what
mean expression '' to put cotton balls in your mouth '' )

Last edited:
I tell you what, I’ll happily swap them for a T-shirt from your local dive op. Interested?

Would a nylon T from my dive club qualify?

upload_2018-5-10_8-55-16.jpeg

1.) It is difference between GOOD INSTRUCTOR and average

I disagree right back. I'm 71, with arthritis and flexibility issues - even though I had excellent instruction I will never be able to get my right leg into the 4 crossover position. No way I can even cross my right knee over the left. No amount of stretching exercises or anything else has helped. In addition, bending over to get at my right foot is partially impeded by my gut, particularly when I'm diving in neoprene. I'm working on losing weight but it doesn't help the underlying issues. Just because you can do something doesn't mean everyone can. Try doing what a contortionest, gymnast, or ballerina does and you might get a different perspective. Not everyone is 23 and in perfect health.

I tried every type strap there is. I finally found that the straps on the Aeris Accel are far better than the best spring straps. They help and make it somewhat easier but do not completely remedy the problems I have. So the right straps only help so far.

4. ) I don't like to cheer to my favorite or force my opinion to you , ever ...... but truly these things
WORKS...FOR EVERYONE

Very naive. Nothing works for everyone.!!! Perhaps it's time to contemplate why someone introduced you to the phrase '' to put cotton balls in your mouth ''

Added: And like ibj40, I'm a bit farther along than inexperienced, with a solo card and nearly 200 solo dives beyond the cert. No expert, but still not a noob.

Last edited:
Hanging from a dive boat ladder, trying to bend down to loosen a traditional clip was a near impossible task.
Being able to reach the top of the back piece of the Finclip, pop it down to loosen the fin, and with the leverage of the stiff back piece to push the fin off, I am now free and fully self-sufficient in the water.

1.) It is difference between GOOD INSTRUCTOR and average ''most of them'' that you learn first how to (enter) jump /go in the water. Funny but true !
Sorry but NO ONE learn that , even me , so I have same problems , I know them well !
I went through that ( learning DIR F ) when you have some equipment to deal with and you don't want that equipment kill you on the boat or even ladder. How to put your fins ON/OFF floating in water ... most simple thing I never do before ?!!
Find some instructions on YouTube and analyze them ... take time

Universal Spring Fin Straps XS Scuba | Plaukmenys | DIR | www.divingshop.lt - Diving / Spearfishing / DIR -Diving / Diving Courses / Travel

I have DIY version with ''garden hose ''on spring it is even simpler to put them ON/OFF but these on link have better grip .
Also must be properly installed because inside of spring is protection wrap to prevent ''over'' pretending spring

3.) Point is in very fine details ... if you have RIGHT instructor he or she will show them to you.

WORKS...FOR EVERYONE
( I have verbal fights with my friends , until they simply show me procedure , from that time I know what
mean expression '' to put cotton balls in your mouth '' )

It is clear by both of your replies that you don't like the Finclip, and if so, that's just fine.

You imply that I may be an inexperienced diver, and have found some sort of crutch to address poor training. Let me assure you that I have been diving for over 30 years, and have plenty of experience.

In addition, you suggest that I substitute a Do It Yourself solution for one that has been professionally developed.

Thanks for the input, I'll stick with my position with regard to this excellent product.

Wow. I suffer from arthritis after 30 years in automotive. I never thought not being able to put my fins on in the traditional way would endanger others. I certain that it doesn't. The big problem I have with these clips is that they seem to present an inordinate risk of entanglement. I've spent a lot of time streamlining my gear to avoid such entanglements. I would hate to be swimming around a wreck and have a piece of mono steal my fin.

Here's the thing. No one here is perfect. We all have to adapt something in order to dive. If it gets you in the water, then good for you: Dive and let Dive. Just be aware of the limitations and/or drawbacks that any piece of gear might present. But if it gets you in the water: go for it. Dive and let dive!

I tell you what, I’ll happily swap them for a T-shirt from your local dive op. Interested?

After a post and a PM to you I realize you were just blowing smoke. My mistake.

On January 29, 1957 Richard "Dick" Klein, The then innovative president of the California based company 'Healthways" was issued US patent number 2,2779, 077 titled "Foot attachment for facilitating swimming "

At that time it was a unique method of locking the fin straps in place with out resorting to applying copious amounts of electrical tape to secure the straps and insure they did not slip, Since that time 61 years ago locking fin straps have became common on all fins.

At that junction in history all known American manufactures were located in SoCal and all produced or distributed non adjustable fins: the Cressi Rondine, the Squale, the Manatee, the Viking and the choice ot the serious diver the board stiff Duck feet.

To custom fit and adjust the fin to the diver copious (I LIKE that word) amounts of the newly introduced wet suit (1954) material was taped with sickly gooey black electrical tape to the inside on the heal strap and often to the sides

At that time there was only one certifying agency, the very demanding and certainly prestigious LA County UW Instructors Association The 1954 LA Co UW instruction manual Titled "UW recreation" specifically warned the student prospective diver to avoid adjustable fins. Now 65 plus years later almost all fins produced are adjustable..

I recall when Bill Walters, LA County UW Instructor, previewed his unique radical BIU dubbed the At Pac at an LA Co UW Instructor's event so many years ago. We were all in awe -- A BIU? weights in the back pack ? ????
With in a few years we were all using At Pacs

Now we have a new and exciting invention a Fin Clip--

Never used one, never seen one, seriously doubt if I will ever see one or use one.

It or a variation of the Fin Clip will soon migrate into main stream diving, either via the current company or an adaption/modification by a large established dive company

Sam Miller, III

@ АлександрД
I was a participant in American foot ball- I had two left knee operation before I was 21- Still in pain and still walking and exercising and diving

@Mat K
25 vacation dives ! Wow

@ Rocketman 3
There are numerous places to dive in Utah and certainly California -- look forward to your evaluation

@ibj40
Just why don't you ;log dives ?
Dick Bonin developed the first diver's log in 1955 for Chicago based Divemaster company
Tom Ebro developed the second divers log in 1967 for the 3 month long LA Co ADP- world first and best ADP
Now all agencies encourage dive logs

@Kharon
Mc D's Hamburgers are no longer 19 cents and Duck feet fins are no longer $9,95-- Yes $150.00 hard earned Yankee dollars is a lot --- I guess ???

Last edited:
@Sam Miller III - thanks for a very copious review of the issue - and I will be purchasing a pair at whatever the cost as soon as my shoulder heals up some from rotator cuff surgery. At 71 why do I care about $ if it can make my diving easier. You make very good and copious points (I like the word too - I just can't fit it in as smoothly as you). I also like the word obviate, as in, the FinClip will obviate the need for contortion and pain in donning and doffing my fins.

BTW, I no longer eat McD's burgers as we have several 5 Guys nearby and after seeing how the orginal McD brothers were ripped off I'd certainly go to Burger King first.

@Kharon
To quote a former occupant of the white house " I feel your Pain...."

The AC operation is rather routine but the recovery and required PT can be long term and have serious consequences if not completed--Hang in there--The ocean is eternal --it will be there long after your operation heals.

So far I do not require Fin Clips to put on my fins, but I seriously suspect I will be needing a pair or something similar in the near or hopefully in distant future.

Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom