Finclip Vs Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi everyone!
I'm very new, tried diving last summer and loved it and am trying to get organized for this summer. I've started to buy my own gear and just saw the add for finclip here. Do you think I would be better off with this sort of new evolution? I looked at the site and getting fins on looks so much easier than trying not to fall over like an idiot. Can anyone guide me?

Wow! I've never seen or heard of FINCLIPS, but they look exactly like Flow snowboard bindings!

With that being said, spring straps are the way to go....fast, easy, and reliable! Get the ones with the stainless steel hardware rather than the plastic clips as they will last much longer :)

A fantastic solution to a problem that does not exist. Getting your fins on (or off) is not a really big issue in SCUBA. Spring or bungee straps already solved this "problem".

FINCLIP - The easiest way to don/doff your fins

I would pass. You will find other things to spend your money on if you are just getting into diving. I also mostly beach dive where spring straps work just fine and the FinClips would be useless for me. But it you have spare money and can wait 6+ months to never, give it a try.

I saw the funding ad earlier today, immediately thought to myself, I certainly do not need that. I use spring straps. Made me remember the folding fins of several years ago that let you walk in your fins and then clip the fin in . I didn't need that either, never saw a pair. There are not many things to invent for scuba that are actually an improvement over what's available now. The most significant improvements since I started diving in 1970 have been nitrox and dive computers.

i use the spring straps ....the "finclip" looks way to complicated ...I'm just a simple diver.

I went ahead and pledged for one set on Kickstarter.
For me, it is a minor hassle getting the fins on in a crowded dive boat, and taking them off in rougher waters to hand back up the boat. If it solves that problem, and causes no new problems, why not?
Also, the bungee straps are included with the Finclip-so for those who still haven't converted to spring or bungee straps, it is an alternative for little added cost. Of course, there is the issue of delayed availablity.

Can they fall off? If it's even a remote possibility I wouldn't consider it. I've been using rubber straps for nearly 50 years. Sometimes, late at night when I'm contemplating an upcoming dive, I fantasize about getting some spring straps. However, when I'm on the beach or a boat and about to enter the water these thoughts never cross my mind. Rubber straps can come off if going through the surf and they are too loose.

Back
Top Bottom