Finclip Vs Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't be buying them, they're not compatible for the type of diving that I do. That the inventor came here and said as much is quite respectable.

He's not trying to promote these as the greatest thing since sliced bread, or something that will revolutionize diving. I appreciate that. I think they're interesting, and for divers with limited mobility, I can see them as very helpful. The problem is that right now they're just a prototype.

I'm a big fan of Kickstarter. As long as you are understanding that you are providing investment capital, and that there are potential pitfalls in doing so, I think it's a great platform. I've only been burned a couple times in probably 150+ campaigns. It's the risk you take. However, if nobody takes those risks, none of those awesome things come to market. I've seen a few people say they'll buy them when they're produced. The problem is, if everybody has that same attitude, they'll never make it to market. Their goal is quite high, potentially higher than the market will bear, but if you're someone who could benefit, it's a small risk to take. Most people should be able to swing $41 plus some shipping.

With 3 vertebrae fused in my lower back, mobility is limited. Spring straps help a lot. These look interesting and look like they would be helpful in getting fins on and off.

Quite frankly, was really throws me off is how they are being compared to ski bindings. Aren't ski bindings supposed to disconnect when you fall? I would not want my fins to detach if I suddenly found myself in some heavy surf or surge. That would be a bad situation. I'm not saying that your Finclip does that, but I do think you may be alienating potential customers by making this comparison.
The comparison is aimed at when you are putting your fins on. With FINCLIP all you have to do is slide your fins on, raise your toes a little and press down with your heels. No fiddling about, no bending down to your ankles. It's a hands free operation. FINCLIP won't release your fins in heavy surf anymore than bungee straps etc would.

With 3 vertebrae fused in my lower back, mobility is limited. Spring straps help a lot. These look interesting and look like they would be helpful in getting fins on and off.
Thats the whole idea of FINCLIP. No bending over and no fumbling. It's a hands free system for those of us who would like to have it a bit easier.

Quite frankly, was really throws me off is how they are being compared to ski bindings. Aren't ski bindings supposed to disconnect when you fall?
Actually, the mechanics are more akin to snowboard bindings than ski bindings-snowboard bindings do not disconnect with a fall. Specifically, they resemble Flow bindings-as Geologist_412 pointed out earlier in this thread.

Hello to all the divers in this forum
Allow me to introduce myself:
My name is Paolo Piumatti and I’m the inventor of FINCLIP.
I’m 59 years old and have been diving since I was 14.
Until 1998 I successfully owned and ran a motor spares distribution company, which I then decided to sell in order to dedicate my time and energy to what has always been my true passion: the sea.
Since then I have been the proud owner of a diving resort where I train and accompany divers on dives throughout most of the year.
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I have always been a great observer and have never ceased to enjoy researching solutions which could improve the quality of life.

I felt that this introduction was necessary to reassure fellow divers that I am not just an occasional ‘Sunday diver’ that has had an idea and wants to palm it off at all costs.

Quite simply, having observed divers on my boat, I came up with this idea and would like to present it to the world, get it into production and be able to sell it to all those divers that would prefer an easier life when it comes to getting fins on and off.
FINCLIP is in fact aimed at recreational divers who prefer less effort and more fun.
Probably Salomon had the same thoughts when he invented the precursor to modern ski bindings.

I would be the first to advice against using FINCLIP if you are a tech diver, extreme diving enthusiast or you dive in muddy, murky waters where the risk of getting hooked on something is very high.
In these cases even a normal spring could cause problems.
Now, without wishing to be argumentative, I’d like to clarify some of the observations that have been posted here:

1. Those who have said that the problem doesn’t exist: 20 years ago and 45 lbs lighter, I would have said the same!

2. Those who have said “just sit down and put your fins on”: On a dinghy of course you have no need for FINCLIP but on a boat it’s not so easy to walk to the edge before jumping into the water with fins on. And if you gear up first, then put your fins on we are back to point 1 above.

3. Those who have said that there is no need for FINCLIP when shore diving: if you can put your fins on in the water, of course not. But if you are diving off a pier or from the rocks without anything to hang on to to keep your balance, again we are back to point 1.

4. Those of you who have said that it’s not so much getting your fins on, but taking them off in water: part of the idea of FINCLIP is being able to get your fins both on and off easily. The heelpiece can be used as a handle in the water that you can push to slide off your fins. Isn’t that easier than grabbing the side of your fin and trying to overcome the suction that forms between fin and foot?

5. Those who have said that there might be more pressure on your Achilles tendon with FINCLIP: quite the contrary! The force exerted by the elastic on your Achilles tendon with FINCLIP is distributed all the way along the heelpiece, and not just concentrated at one point; which is what happens with a normal strap, spring or bungee.

6. Those of you who have expressed concern than your fins could slide off in the water with FINCLIP: once you have raised the heelpiece, the elastic works in exactly the same way as always.

7. Those of you who have said that the system is too complicated: it’s just a shoehorn hinged to a clamp fixed to the back of a fin.

8. Those of you who have mentioned having to wait 6 months for delivery: Kickstarter and the principle of crowdfunding is not the same as ordering from Ebay. Furthermore, if the project is not supported now, in six months’ time you won’t be able to order FINCLIP from anywhere.

Sorry to have kept you so long but there were quite a few points to clarify.
Just one more thing:

FINCLIP is the result of:
- Almost 2 years of research into finding a practical and reliable solution.
- Over € 20.000 (about $18.000) invested in research, development and the creation of prototypes.

Warm regards from Italy

Paolo

Thanks for the balanced reply Paolo, I wish you well with your product. Though at this time I don't think it right for me personally.
Scubaboard is somewhat notorious in regards to resisting "Gear solutions to skills problems.." and there is a healthy scepticism (Perhaps too healthy at times) when new products are first released. It's a tough crowd to win over initially.

Hi everyone!
I'm very new, tried diving last summer and loved it and am trying to get organized for this summer. I've started to buy my own gear and just saw the add for finclip here. Do you think I would be better off with this sort of new evolution? I looked at the site and getting fins on looks so much easier than trying not to fall over like an idiot. Can anyone guide me?

Hi Stefan. Unless you have specific problems that make using either the rubber straps that came with your fins, or spring straps (both of which have been tried and tested by many thousands of divers over many years), I'd say stick with them rather than going with a "solution" to a problem that the majority of people won't find a problem.

Oh, you're not related to "Sharon" from Bournemouth / Torino are you? She asked a similar question recently when she was new to diving and looking at fin straps.

Hi Stefan. Unless you have specific problems that make using either the rubber straps that came with your fins, or spring straps (both of which have been tried and tested by many thousands of divers over many years), I'd say stick with them rather than going with a "solution" to a problem that the majority of people won't find a problem.

Oh, you're not related to "Sharon" from Bournemouth / Torino are you? She asked a similar question recently when she was new to diving and looking at fin straps.

Something does not have to be a "problem" in order to adopt another invention that makes your task easier or more enjoyable. As one example, millions of drivers learned to use, and drove stick shift cars for many decades, but I think most people would agree that automatic transmissions sure make driving easier. At my age, I could write a nearly endless list of changes to equipment developed by innovative thinkers. A lot of folks on this board seem to subscribe to the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but don't take time to think of all the improvement to their lives brought to them by creative minds.

How well will these work when you are walking in from shore with different bottom compositions (sand, small rocks, large rocks)?

Looks like a solution for boat divers, but not shore divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom