Finders Keepers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Malibu, CA is where I spend most of my dive time.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
When would you keep what you found?
Look into your heart and bank account, and be as honest as you can!:D

This was supposed to be a poll, but the board shut me out before I finished the options!

You find something of value, a big gold nugget, some doubloons, or a Rolex. When would you keep it?

You're diving on a wreck, (not intentionally sunk), after a storm and find a massive gold nugget.

What if it's a claimed wreck?

What if it's in a National Park?

What if it's sitting on the deck of the Oriskany?

2 doubloons washed up on a beach in Florida?

Planting a tree in your backyard, where you do not own the mineral rights, and you find a vein of gold?

You find a Rolex on a reef?

With each of these, someone else could have a legal claim. So what do you do?

These are situational ethics.

Are we talking money? or gear?
Money ...depends on location and if only bills. If more than 40$ at a dive location, I'd give it to the operator along with name and number. Most places if no one claims it it's yours in 2 weeks. If alot of money I'd call the cops, same reason.

gear.If it's got a number I'd call it. If not depends on if anyone knows anything about it.

PhotoTJ:
When would you keep what you found?
Look into your heart and bank account, and be as honest as you can!:D

I'd keep it if it wasn't from anyone on the boat and/or if it had no name or address details on it. The only things I find are pretty worthless though and are either weights, snorkels or knives. It would be nice if I found a Canon D2X in a housing with two strobes and no nametag. Now THAT would make my day!:D

finders keepers unless it was like on a plane or a hotel room with someplace to turn it in....

national park? you're kidding, right? of course. A wreck..and it was laying on the deck..yes, no doubt about it. Now would I pry it out of something if it was a Ming Dynasty piece of China? no.. karma.

I took a reefhook from the rinse tank because it was there for a ten days in the same spot and I liked it...I felt guilty though. It had a stainless hook, and I adopted it temporarily and then forgot to put it back. It bothers me a little.

All my stuff has my phone number...a pilot even returned my i-pod.

Oh..on your cell...put "my house, please call" and they will call you when you lose your phone.

This past Sunday I found a Sunnto Mosquito dive computer at the local quarry and gave it to the admissions office personnel.

JR

Rule of thumb ... if it's not mine, I will try to reunite it with the rightful owner. If that fails, it becomes mine.

I've found lots of scuba gear over the past few years ... and had about a 50% success rate finding out who it belongs to. The rest, I've usually sold at swap meets for small money ... sometimes donating the money to local causes.

Recently I ID'd a pair of fins I had found, and contacted the shop that had lost 'em ... only to discover that they'd charged the guy who had rented them about $50 more than they were worth new. Needless to say, they didn't really care whether I brought 'em back or not ... after all, they made a "sale". The fins are still in my garage ... if I could find the guy who "bought" them, I'd give them to him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've kept some things and returned many more. If I can figure out who they belong to they'll go home with the original owner and if not they go home with me.

If I find gold in my backyard it's mine, if in yours then why was I there in the first place? Seriously it all depends on the circumstances as to what I do. I'll do the honest thing in any case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom