Finding a good instructor for PADI specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whodunit68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had a great second half of '08, mainly because I found diving. I want to continue my education, training, and experience. It's too cold in New Jersey/Philadelphia so it'll be 4 months until I can get wet up here (not yet diving dry). I don't want to wait. I travel extensively for work (mostly US, Mexico, & central America) so I can go any of these places pretty easily. I have some specific interests that I'd like to pursue. However, there are many discussions (and I agree in many cases) that suggest that specialties are only about card collecting and paying more $. I do firmly believe that a good instructor for *any* of the specialties can provide knowledge more quickly and tips that I may not have otherwise discovered. I think this is good. I want to figure out some things on my own but for some, I want someone there who is good at what he or she does. For example, FishID is something I'm interested in. I can read the book, look online, etc. In fact, I will. However, I was watching a guy on a recent dive trip who *really* seemed to understand what he was looking at, behaviour, and where to find types of fish. This takes years to amass this type of information. I want to spend a few dives with someone like that to get a start. Lots of shops/operators teach this course. I want someone solid (he wasn't an instructor, just very involved with REEF). How do I find one? Can you recommend a good instructor that you did the FishID specialty with?
Same is true for photography. I want to do this. Sure, I know what exposure means (wetsuit, right? j/k). I get aperature. I can even explain f-Stops to a novice. However, I want to use these things in an underwater environment to get the most of my time learning underwater photography. Any suggestions? I guess the long explanations are due to the many folks who say skip the specialties because they're a waste of money. I AGREE - sometimes. I did a wreck specialty and found a lot of value. That instructor said he's not the best for photo / fishID and didn't really know anyone but I learned a lot about what I didn't know about wrecks and that I better be really careful if I want to enjoy them - and live. I really got value from that time with him.
So, how do I find a FishID and an underwater photo instructor that will be worth my hard earned $?
next on the list is bouyancy. I did 58 dives since late August. I learned a lot about my bouyancy. However, I would have learned a lot more if I had spent time in learning mode with someone who really gets trim, bouyancy, weighting, etc. I want to do that too. There's more but figure I'd start there.
Sorry so long, thanks for the help in advance.

ok, let's try being a bit more specific. Does anyone know a very good instructor in Florida, Mexico, Puerto Rico, or the USVI for:
1) underwater photography,
2) FishID (Reef?),
3) Peak Performance Bouyancy, or
4) Intro to Tech?
Thanks!

I think your approaching the specialties for all the right reasons. When you travel on business dive and get a feel for the instructors on the boat. Perhaps on a second trip back you can arrange a course. You are correct that some instructors are better at teaching particular courses. Personal interest of the instructor is very important. For example, I went through my instructor training with a fellow candidate that is big time into photography. We don't have the same interest and I choose not to teach this particular course. It is good to hear your wreck instructor was so honest.

You can also learn a lot from a good dive buddy. It sounds like your in the insta-buddy cycle so taking specialty courses makes even more sense.

I hope you can help me with photography when we dive the Spiegal Grove :)

Last edited:
hey Arizona!! Happy New Year Buddy!!! Thanks for the comments. Not having anything outside of SB & other online avenues plus the little bit I pick up locally, I'm trying to be as smart as I can about this. That's not easy for a guy who isn't too smart about diving! I want to learn learn. In fact, I mentioned to my instructor for Deep/Wreck/Nitrox - the one I like - about my visit in July and he may even join us. He's done the SG many times as well as the Duane and some others. personal tour from a good guy at no $ - sounds good to me! (ooops, I hope you're ok with that).
So, the issue here now is finding someone who matches the above - is good at these things. If you run across anyone, please do send 'm along!
Take care!

Count me in for the SG. If you want to start planning a date PM. The SP is not my local wreck so this sounds really good. I am happy to help with PPB just as dive buddy. I am pretty good with that :) some very happy students by the way.

Happy New Year

sounds like a plan. I can make it down to Florida in a jiff - it's VERY easy for me. In fact, I had planned to be home all weekend and I have another browser window opened looking for flights for TODAY! :) ... I'd rather do a specialty though. I'm really pumped as I'm hoping to do a cavern /intro to cave in February, also in FL. This first part of the year will be lots of learning, I hope.
I'm glad you like the SG plan.

I am sure there are many good instructors, but if you will be in Florida I would certainly say that for the Fish ID and UW photography (or videography) Tim Vann is very good. Home

sounds like a plan. I can make it down to Florida in a jiff - it's VERY easy for me. In fact, I had planned to be home all weekend and I have another browser window opened looking for flights for TODAY! :) ... I'd rather do a specialty though. I'm really pumped as I'm hoping to do a cavern /intro to cave in February, also in FL. This first part of the year will be lots of learning, I hope.
I'm glad you like the SG plan.

With Cavern/Intro to Cave you can cross off Peak Performance Buoyancy off your list. Cavern is where I was able learn what dialed in really meant. My instructor looked like a humming bird. up/down, spinning and backwards All while in double tanks and a dry suit.

You might also be able to cross off Intro to Tech from your list, too. During my recent Trimix training the instructor mentioned requiring Intro to Tech or Cavern before letting someone into Cave training. I am guessing the training covers similar skills.

My suggestion to track down good instruction is to find out who's doing it actively and chase them down for a class. I just finished up an AOW class for a group from the local news station. They knew more about cameras then I could ever teach them so I focused on team approach to photo and applying peak performance buoyancy skills on the dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom