Finding another dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1LE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
What's the best way to find local dive shops and find out what agency they're with? Also, while I presume I'd have to start training all the way back at square one if I switched to a PADI shop (currently training under SSI), would it have to be a start over event with another SSI shop?

Most major agencies have dealer locators on their website. I'm SSI also so here's ours. my.DiveSSI.com

Another good place to ask is the regional forum for your area here on SB - Great Lakes Wrecking Crew

Anything you've done within the SSI system should transfer to another SSI shop except they may want to see you dive if you've done any of the cert dives already. I'm not able to comment on any payments/refunds you may be due.

That also applies if you decide to do your checkouts somewhere else - my current buddy (also SSI) took his class here, did some of his checkouts in SoCal (same shop) and the rest on Bonaire - your new instructor will provide a referral if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1LE
Afaik the shop affiliation shouldn't matter they should recognize your certification and be able to accommodate you accordingly with further certification now if you are new to the type of diving they do ie previous dives were warm salt water dives t
In Florida then move to great lakes area and try to dive they may want to try you out on easier dives first to see what you can handle

If the location in your profile is accurate, I'd recommend checking out Sea Level Scuba.

The guy in the video below is a friend of mine, but I think they do a better than average job at teaching with a focus on proper buoyancy and trim.

Agency wise, they are SDI/TDI. If you've completed a full class with SSI, you can easily take more advanced training there. If not, it's worth asking what the shop can do (whether PADI, SDI, whatever). Likely very dependent upon individual situation.

To my knowledge all non-pro certifications are transferable between agencies. Ei. My brother did OW with NAUI and AOW with PADI. There may be exceptions I don't know about. I believe a certified Rescue Diver with one agency can take the DM course with another. It's after that where there are restrictions. Others may elaborate.

To clarify, not an add-on. Trying to complete initial Open Water. Around a dozen pool training dives done since June 2017 (IIRC? sometime early that Summer anyways), have not made it to a quarry yet. Love our current shop but are having a difficult time getting it completed there due to scheduling issues. New retail job = frequent working on/off ALL days of the week and no vacation time.

To clarify, not an add-on. Trying to complete initial Open Water. Around a dozen pool training dives done since June 2017 (IIRC? sometime early that Summer anyways), have not made it to a quarry yet. Love our current shop but are having a difficult time getting it completed there due to scheduling issues. New retail job = frequent working on/off ALL days of the week and no vacation time.

You can do the referral program if you have completed all of your classroom and pool work. The program allows you to take all of your course work in one location and do your open water dives in another.

Reactions: 1LE
Sorry, I miss read. I don't think you can do part of an OW course with one agency and finish with another. I could be wrong, but haven't heard of it.

Back
Top Bottom