Finding camera owners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayakingphotos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How much luck have people had finding owners for cameras and other items that have been found underwater? Any techniques other than looking at the photos and checking to see if they are geotagged?

I went on a dive Sunday and during the dive I found THREE GoPro cameras and an iPhone 8......

I uploaded a video to a new channel on youtube last night. The content on the memory card for this one camera is not very helpful..... I know exactly where the cliff jumping was, but not where the bicycling is.

Patrick

You could try putting a found notice at the cliff jump and see if the owner can identify himself in the videos.
I have my name and email address P-Touched on my housing. In the camera menu I have my name, address, email and phone number. Fortunately I've never lost a camera but it's very easy to identify them if I ever do..

I found a SeaLife camera last year... washed up on a remote Island. I popped the card into my laptop and posted a couple of what appeared to be selfies in our local FB dive page, but nada. The camera was pretty beat up anyway, but likely works. I still have it if anyone lost one in Tobermory maybe two years ago.

1st picture on the card should always be the owner's contact info

I had not thought about that before, but its a good idea. The cliff in question is a location where you have to boat to, so I'm not sure how often people go back there to check and see if things have been found.

I think the two other GoPro cameras will be much easier to find their owners. Turns out that they both came from people attending or working at the SAME summer camp. When I get videos from those posted, I'll be messaging the camp to make sure they take a look at the videos.

Patrick

All I can say is his video techniques have made me nauseous.

Good luck in finding the owners.

I do the same as snowdog61, and I lock that photo so it cannot be erased when I delete the rest of the photos on the SD card. Every SD card I own has a locked picture of my contact information, so I don't have to remember to add the information if I switch SD cards at the last minute.

I lost a sealife DC1000 with the old yellow flash. It was slightly positively buoyant. Came off while bouncing on the hang bar. Did not feel it come off. I now have a much stronger attachment to the camera. With the gulf stream nearby I figure if it did not sink it made it to Europe. If the camera is opened my name is on a taped in piece of paper.

All I can say is his video techniques have made me nauseous.
Yea, it seems like the stability of a gopro camera can be an issue. Movements can be pretty fast when they are head mounted.

I do now have two other videos posted. I hope to be able to find the owners of these other two. They are both from the same summer camp in PA.

Patrick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom