Finding leak.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My drysuit has developed a leak at one of the seams of the crotch:shakehead:. Very uncomfortable and making me the butt of numerous bad jokes. I want to find the exact spot so I can concentrate my repair efforts. I've tried inflating it and spraying with soapy water but it seems the leak is one way. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, Andrew.

Most manufactures warrantee the seams for life...I would check to see if that is covered. Worth a phone call.

Turn the suit inside out in that section and fill with water. Then look where it starts peeing from.

I just had a suit that we spent all summer trying to find an extremely tiny pin hole. As soon as we turned the suspected area inside out and filled it with water it became obvious where the leak was.

Turn the suit inside out in that section and fill with water. Then look where it starts peeing from.

I just had a suit that we spent all summer trying to find an extremely tiny pin hole. As soon as we turned the suspected area inside out and filled it with water it became obvious where the leak was.

Good advice! I've found small leaks quickest using that method (suit inside-out with water in it).

For the OP, if the suspected area still won't divulge the location of the leak, try manipulating the material by bending, pressing or pulling on it during the water leak test.

Some leaks will only occur in certain positions or circumstances.

Don't forget to consider that the crotch may only be the low spot where the leaking water finally accumulated. It may have originated at the zipper or inflator valve and run down the front of the suit without leaving much trace before getting to the crotch.

Another trick is to dive the suit with a dark towel placed along the entire front of the torso and crotch. Any leaks will show their origination point because the towel will be darkest and wettest there.

I wish you luck. I had a slow front zipper leak that would soak my crotch and it got real embarrassing when passersby saw me just after I got out of my suit.... I switched to light-colored shorts until I found the leak using the dark towel method and fixed it. :wink:

Dave C

Last edited:
Stuff a 2 liter soda bottle in the neck and some 1 liter bottles in the wrist sleeves then fill the suit with Helium. You can use one of those little tanks that look like propane bottles that are used for filling party balloons. Once the suit is inflated, spray it with the soapy water.
The leak is sometimes more evident with Helium than air.

Don't try this outside or you might end up with a an expensive balloon. :wink:

Only if your children are in it.

:rofl3::rofl3: Nice!

If you fill it with helium and bring it by we can use the helium leak detector sniffer to find exactly where it is.

I just tried this method of filling the suit with water. Just amazing how fast you can spot a leak. Thanks...

I think in my five year history with drysuits, I have tried every method ever described for finding leaks. The one I have found most useful is to put on a light, cotton garment like surgical scrubs (something that will immediately show even a small spot of water) and then put on the suit and get in a swimming pool or hot tub. Make sure you move the body parts where you suspect the leak is, because as already stated, leaks can be position-dependent. The MOMENT you feel the leak, get out of the water and very, very carefully remove the suit. The place where the undergarment is wet will give you the location of the leak, which can then be precisely located using the other techniques described.

The biggest problem with drysuits is that where you experience the wetness at the end of a dive may have little or nothing to do with where the leak is. I have had my crotch wet because my neck seal was leaking. The key is to find the wet spot just the absolute moment the water is beginning to come into the suit.

Back
Top Bottom