Finishing up my first year...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A little over a year ago I finally decided to pull the trigger and start diving. I picked out a local shop that was referred to me by a few people, and started my OW training. After completing my check dives I tagged along with my instructor whenever he had more classes, just to build on my skills. I focused on buoyancy, fin techniques, no mask, etc.

I started a few easy ocean dives here in Jersey from shore, and kept logging dives whenever I had time. I passed through a bunch of equipment, eventually landing in a BPW setup. After a few dives of tweaking, and some custom weights ordered, I felt like I was making progress. I constantly worked to get my trim as good as it could be.

In October, I drove up to RI for my AOW course, which was a blast. Lots of shore diving, low visibility, all the good stuff.

Over the winter I took a trip down to Freeport and did some carribean diving. Holy clear water! This was a great time, but also where I sadly learned that many vacation divers are horrible, and clearly don't work on anything. I saw all the typical things, but for what it was worth, it made me feel good about my training.

Starting on that trip, and continuing to the present, I have been working on learning underwater videography. I put together a nice little gopro kit, and have been having a blast. I still tag along with the dive shop, and get some video/images of the students, many of whom where very excited to have a record of their first open water dives. This gave me a good chance to continue to work on my trim, but now with the added camera tray to throw a wrench in the works.

As it turns out, and old friend was at the quarry the other day and was doing some still life. He snapped a few shots of me, and I got to see how I look with the camera. I was in a great mood when I left, as a few people complemented me on my buoyancy and trim, but when I got home to the email from my friend, I was even more happy to see that it almost looks like I know what I'm doing!

I still have a long way to go, and this past year has been fun, but I'm using this thread to share a little bit of my happiness with my progress.

917ad5ca6611be6838b43729181f814e.jpg
f763812e73e430c085d20987b406f3bb.jpg
8c2363577f3af06069e73bca4256d3cc.jpg
642d37b4bf6b98a593f189f5ca55821a.jpg

Thanks for all the support from SB during my adventures in diving!

-BC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good, but more importantly, you are having fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom