• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Finnish diver missing in Swedish mine

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by Storker, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Storker

Storker DWWFM practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reports that a Finnish diver is missing in a mine in the vicinity of Borlänge in middle Sweden.

I'm on my tablet, so aren't able to link to the translated article. Y'all have to run the link through Google translate yourself.

Dykolycka i gruva – stor räddningsinsats

2. Pkishino

Pkishino Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Where did you read they were finish? The sources I read all said it was a woman but nothing more

3. Storker

See the op. Aftonbladet.se

4. ahereng

ahereng Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    There is an explanation of the accident on Tuna Hästberg's FB-page.
    It gives a simple but good explanation.

5. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Divemaster

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Got a link? Or can you paraphrase it here?

6. Pkishino

Pkishino Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Well, the only thing I could find was that it was a large group of 20 divers from Norway and Finland and that the woman isn't Swedish

7. ahereng

ahereng Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I was in another part of the mine while it happened.
    A team of three finnish divers had been to the 34m level when the female diver encountered some problems at 20m and subsequently panicked. Her teammates tried to help her, but after some time had to save themselves. The incident happened at about 400m into the cave. She was experienced and had the proper education for the dive.

EDIT:
    The team was on OC.

Cowfish Aesthetic and FinnMom like this.
  8. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Divemaster

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I've seen nothing to indicate that there was any rule-breaking going on in this incident. The info that I've seen posted was the female diver had an equipment malfunction and panicked. The team members tried to help, they couldn't. The completed their exit and got help as soon as they were able to.

As for people being banned, I believe it was just a certain group of gentlemen that were politely told their patronage was no longer welcome. That invitation does not extend to people outside of their team, and certainly not to a whole country.

That team has had several fatalities over the years, however the dives that they are doing trend well outside the norm, dives I would consider "big," and what most people would consider quite extreme. Any risk averse proprietor would probably be disinclined to allow them to be customers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018
  9. MMM

MMM Orca Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of off-topic posts have been moved to a separate thread located here Are Finns bad divers? Thread split outside of the A&I forum and its special rules. A reminder that this forum is to address a specific incident and to attempt to learn how it could be prevented in future. Any inference that an entire country of divers are somehow the key is not just silly, but also unhelpful in attempting to prevent future accidents. Please keep the discussion in this forum to this particular incident and what you may know about it, or what you may believe happened and how it might be prevented in future. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

tep, KevinNM, FinnMom and 1 other person like this.
  10. Storker

Statement from Diving Tuna Hästberg (Google translated):

FinnMom likes this.