Fins, fins, and more fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uppa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I like to thoroughly research before I buy anything, which is why deciding on fins (as a new, completely inexperienced diver) is driving me crazy: it seems to be completely subjective. I've searched these forums up and down, gone into a number of local dive shops, asked diver friends, and everyone has a different opinion.

It's clear there isn't a consensus, which speaks wonders about the fins out there, but it leaves me with no clear choice: I've spent more than a week doing nothing but researching them, and I'm no closer to making a decision than when I started. I know what the answer is: try as many as you can and then decide! Trouble is, dive shops in the area don't offer many rental options, don't rent many (if any) good quality fins, and the only LDS with a pool has a very limited selection (I went, spent an hour in the pool, learned little). On top of that, I'm about to get my open water certification, and for that I need fins... so I have to buy something, and I have no idea what.

I was close to buying Apollo Bio Fins, but there's no dealer within 3 hours of here (Toronto) so I can't try before I buy, and I'm right between sizes on the chart (9 1/2 foot, but with a size 8 7mm bootie), so it seems like a pricey gamble. So this is my current plan: scrooge it up. I don't know what I want, and I don't have the experience or knowledge to make a good decision, so I'm going to buy a pair of cheap fins that will get the job done (short term), then spend more when I have a better idea what works for me.

So, any recommendations on a decent fin that will last me a couple dozen dives without making me swear, and that also doesn't break the bank? I know that 'ScubaPro Jet Fins' will be the first post if I don't throw up this caveat: I tried them, I hated the foot pocket, and it generally didn't feel right for me. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm not looking for 'it's the best fin I've ever owned!', I'm just looking for 'you won't hate it, and it's not that expensive'

I really think eBay could be a good friend in this case.

Buy something cheap and in good shape. Anything that will stay on your feet will get you through your cert classes.

Dive with them a dozen or so times after your class, get an idea what you like and don’t like, post the findings here, ask for advice, keep researching, keep an eye on eBay for something else that looks better, rinse, repeat.

I’m sure that you’ve found that people either love or hate forcefins. Well, I bought a batch of used gear from a yardsale the other day for $75 US, including a pair of forcefins. I’m going to try them out and decide for myself.

I love my Bio-fins and you can find them on line for a great price. I also just ordered a pair of OMS fins for my dry suit and I'm glad I did, because my boot on my dry suit doesn't fit in my Bio fins. I don't plan on getting rid of my bio-fins any time soon, because I love the way the work.

I have to say that I love my Apollo Bio Fins XT with the C-Series spring straps.

Where I used to just travel with reg, mask, and wetsuit, I now take my fins, despite the added weight (and these aren't the lightest version of the fin for sure).

I bought them without ever trying them and have been extremely happy that I did. I'd suggest purchasing through a dive shop that won't have an issue with returns to make sure you get the right size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom