Fins, Fins and more fins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used Deep6 eddy for vacation diving and locally when its warm enough to dive in a wetsuit. I found them to be too light for drysuit diving, so I have a pair of Jet Fins for colder water. I've tried Jets in warm water and it just made my feet sink and it was difficult to stay horizontal. The "one pair for both" thing doesn't work for me.

I've got a good collection of fins over the years since they make good presents. Currently I can review the following.

Cressi Frog Plus EBS: - Great fin and used them for about a year until I got my Mares Quattro Plus fins. I didn't notice any improvement in my frog kick.

Cressi Thor EBS: - Very powerful fin. Same performance as SP Seawing Nova's. Though the rubber spring strap (EBS) didn't lock well and EBS strap keep falling off, Cressi support wanted me to use standard non-bungee, felt like a new production design issue and after a couple of dives and months the seller let me return them.

Cressi Light & Short Full Foot Pocket Fins: - I've taken these on two Caribbean Cruises and used them on 30-40ft dives. I got looks and a couple of "You know that those aren't made for scuba diving right?" But the DM was fine after looking at my logbook. I've found that they are the perfect travel fin and provide enough propulsion in calm and shallow dive locations.

ScubaPro Jet Fins: I got these fins for a specialty diver course. There is noting wrong with them and will do what they are designed to do, but I just find them just OK.

ScubaPro Seawing Nova's: They are so weird looking, but work so good. If you want to fight a current or speed past everyone these fins are it. I use these on all my deep dives and ocean dives though they are long.

Mares Avanti Quattro Plus: - These are my go to fins. IMHO the best all around fins.

Mares X-Stream: - Used for a summer and put them away. They were alright, just not my personal choice.

Aqua Lung Phazer Fins: - Got these a couple months ago and used them for 20mins in the pool. They were comfortable and can't say anything negative. Though like I mentioned only used for about 20-30min or (1500PSI) in the pool. spent

Oceanic Manta Ray Fins: I've only used them a couple of times this summer. I got them in May. They are really unique. Like beaver tails or kayak paddles on your feet. The spring straps are awesome in they way they adjust and the placement of the thumb hole. The These might be my new favorites.

Best all around fin: Mares Avanti Quattro Plus

I'm curious, how has your opinion of the Oceanic Manta Ray Fins held up?

Do they stack up with your Seawing Nova's or Avanti Quattros?

DiveRite XTs are my favorite wetsuit fin. I've owned so many, most if the popular fins but finally settled on the XTs. I like stiff fins and predominantly frog kick FWIW.

I like my new SP Go Sport fins way better than my Quattro's.
Quattro's feel like boards strapped to my feet.
I forget the Go's are there.

Back
Top Bottom