Fins for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am taking the family to Coumel for the first time in November. Since it is drify diving will any type of fins suffice? Example, my wife has splits that arent great in current and she would rather make it through at least on more trip before I buy new ones for her.

You wont be swimming into the current much if any.....its pretty futile if it is strong. Otherwise just enjoy the ride. :)

You wont be swimming into the current much if any.....its pretty futile if it is strong. Otherwise just enjoy the ride. :)

My best advice is to use full foot fins…not the cold water bootie type. If you dive a lot you will soon see the BIG difference.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

I use the same fins I've used to over 30 years, ScubaPRO Jetfins.

full foot fins are great if you are only doing boat diving, most DM's use them. I prefer booty-type fins because I also shore dive and wading into iron rock with bare feet isn't very pleasant.

I have used full foot a couple times. I just didn't like them. Maybe they weren't sized perfect? Just didn't feel as comfortable. Foot felt a little crampy. I know I am probably in the minority on this though.

I have used full foot a couple times. I just didn't like them. Maybe they weren't sized perfect? Just didn't feel as comfortable. Foot felt a little crampy. I know I am probably in the minority on this though.

Dear Chief,

I can just tell you with what should be great authority, the full foot fins give you much less resistance in the water and power if kicking against a current. Get a pair that fits well or if not comfortable use plain old socks, or the widely available thin neoprene socks. Of course I only can reference Cozumel boat diving, not walking over oyster shells…………but its the truth.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

I can just tell you with what should be great authority, the full foot fins give you much less resistance in the water and power if kicking against a current. Get a pair that fits well or if not comfortable use plain old socks, or the widely available thin neoprene socks. Of course I only can reference Cozumel boat diving, not walking over oyster shells…………but its the truth

I used to use fins with boots but then got a set of full foot fins at leisure pro. The ones I got were size 12-13 and me wearing 12 they tended to rub a little on top of my foot. Then a fellow diver gave me a pair of neoprene dive socks Dave mentions and holy cow I wouldn't give em up for the world. I do agree about needing boots if wading in off the shore at some places.
PS. I cut a hole in the socks to help them drain.

One negative I have found to full foot fins is climbing up some boat ladders in bare or socked feet as it can be very uncomfortable and slippery. For comfort and security I need to stick to my sturdy Booties and Quick release Spring Strap Solid Fins. BTW-I used to have Split Fins, but find Solid Fins have more power when I need it. HOWEVER, to each his or her own and there is really NO BEST FIN choice..This is something each and every diver has to figure out for themselves by trial and error or just plain ole luck !!

Last edited:
Well I do take my boots off on SI as I hate when you get a little sand in them and then it rubs during the next dive. I do have a pair of aqualung slingshots I got talked into by the LDS when I first started diving and I do love them. Kick once and the rubber bands go on kicking for you for a couple minutes. (more or less...) Had to replace the "Power Bands" a couple times. I love 'em. Of course they are ALL I ever used, so what do I know?

I think they make the in full foot..... Probably still a bagillion dollars but still.... :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom