Fins for strong current river work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salth2owannabe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I work the rivers here in Idaho and it is common for the currents to be pretty extreme. I currently have a set of Aqualung blades, work great for frog and scissors kicks but not well at all when I really have to get with it (most of the time). I put this question in here because as rescue/recovery divers you also know that it is vastly different then recreational diving warm water ocean currents etc. I'm also thinking of starting to dive dry so are there better options with a large foot pocket as well. Curious as to what some others are using because I'm pretty frustrated with what I currently have.

Just to avoid typical fin comments, I might add that, no my legs are not weak, and I'm in good shape, etc., etc.

Thanks much for any suggestions.

There aren't many that beat scubapro jet fins for power even though they are heavy. Our team uses them (w/spring straps) for the durability. We operate in a lot of rocks, rebar, sharp stuff. I personally love my APS Mantaray fins, black are stiff and neg while other colors are pos. I use them for swift water ops. I would race them against any fin out there. APS went out of business and Hollis picked up the design patent and makes them as their F2 fins w/spring straps for about $130

Xtra large Scubapro jets with spring straps. Though they are longer, they respond much better than large size ones. Large tend to help people get leg / calf cramps. Extra large flex like the should and work in flow and still water. I can wear them with booties or in any of my drysuits. I have used them, exclusively, since about 1998 and I am in the water a lot. Mark

beside jet fins try force fins i used to work in rivers with them and they performed excellent

No fins will give you the speed and emergency potential of DiveR Freedive fins, which are best when mated to the Riffe Silent Hunter open heel pocket ( allowing booties or thin soled sneakers. The biggest difference will be seen if you need to sustain an emergency pace for more than a minute, where the drastically superior efficiency of these composite blades, will make Scubapro Jet fins look like stone age tech.

No fins will give you the speed and emergency potential of DiveR Freedive fins, which are best when mated to the Riffe Silent Hunter open heel pocket ( allowing booties or thin soled sneakers. The biggest difference will be seen if you need to sustain an emergency pace for more than a minute, where the drastically superior efficiency of these composite blades, will make Scubapro Jet fins look like stone age tech.

No fins except these. :D But I agree with everything else you said.

Moana Waterman | Free Diving Carbon Fins

I don't dive in rivers but I dive and free dive in currents here. There is no comparison when using long blade carbon fins to short scuba fins. Two of my older buddies used ScubaPro jets and were really hard headed about changing. They finally did and were amazed.

One vote for Aeris Velocity 3X. In hard river current in the West (Vermont) could always move upstream easily and they are sturdy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom