Fins for strong current river work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am right across the border in MT. I prefer ScubaPro Jet fins, however, I have found ScubaPro's Seawing Nova fins work quite well in strong currents. We have been searching for a truck in the river and have to cross a strong current on the surface to swim over to the island. The Jet fins work well, but they work the legs. With the Seawing Nova fins I can swim across the strong current with relative ease and lose less ground. Underwater they work well with the eddies and swift current.

there is a reason why cave divers in high flow springs use Jet fins or Hollis F1s. they work? highly recommend both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

there is a reason why cave divers in high flow springs use Jet fins or Hollis F1s. they work? highly recommend both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yea...the reason is the precision control and perfection with frog kick....Cave divers are definately NOT known for being good in currents...In high flow caves, they use scooters....In a cave, you don't really want to PLAN to work hard and run a high SAC rate....these fins they like are not about efficient high speed swimming in a current.

While my big DiveR freedive fins obviously are going to shred any scuba fin sold on the market--this means nothing to many on SB, because they don't want to attempt to walk on a boat with fins 3 times longer than what they now use....Go figure :)
In cave no one, even I , would use the Dive R's, due to the potential for scraping a low overhead ceiling---it is just too long a fin to be in a tightly confined space, where silting can be from the ceiling as well as the floor.
The higher tech solution for in cave, is the Excellerating Force Fin....Precision as good or better than Jets or F1's, and slightly less push per shove forward with the FF than the Jets' or F1's, so at the high end of a cave pace, still going for optimal SAC rate, the Jet's may allow better kick and glide....may.....at the medium and comfortable paces, I see no differences in breathing rates...If you needed emergency speed for something, whether for 15 seconds, or for 1 minue, or 5 minutes, the Force Fins would be dramatically faster with less effort than the jets or F1's....And we are talking flutter kick or dolphin kick, not frog kick ( frog kick is the wrong kick for emergency speed--it is only good for low speed diving--granted this is relative, but we are talking about currents here..)
It is easy to demonstrate this, and anyone diving Palm Beach can do so for themself if they contact me. I don't sell any fins, but this is one of my big issues and rants....I hate the way the Dive Industry pushes cr*p gear, and won't allow demo of gear ( like in snow skiing). Worse, most instructors don't really want to spend the time to teach good kick shape or techniques--many instructors don't even have these skills themselves--which has led to Split fins with very little power per kick stroke, but that can be kicked with the most retarded and incorrect kick shape imaginable, and they will still push the diver forward ( also as fast as they would if this same diver was doing the kick stroke correctly.....either way, the diver goes slow, and does not know any better! )
This is what the dive industry puts out, and it is why splits sell so well......Note that this diver COULD NOT use Jets.
[video=youtube_share;2VEthluthE4]http://youtu.be/2VEthluthE4[/video]

While my big DiveR freedive fins obviously are going to shred any scuba fin sold on the market--this means nothing to many on SB, because they don't want to attempt to walk on a boat with fins 3 times longer than what they now use....Go figure :)

haha It's no use Dan. They won't convert. But you have to try Moanas. I know many who have tried (even C4 users) and swear by them. I used mine for a couple months and went back to my other carbons for a day and man, it was like....wearing scuba fins again...:D....or being barefoot.

haha It's no use Dan. They won't convert. But you have to try Moanas. I know many who have tried (even C4 users) and swear by them. I used mine for a couple months and went back to my other carbons for a day and man, it was like....wearing scuba fins again...:D....or being barefoot.
Next time I visit Belize, I'll be looking you up to try them :)

I am a Rescue Diver here in Southeastern Idaho as well. I specifically use OMS Slip Stream Fins. I train with them and use them religiously. I find they work well with my dry suit, and they work for me extremely well in fast current (demanding situations). I like spring straps on them but are not exactly required. It's just a heavy rubber fin that works.

I have never been a person to get into the latest gizmo (elastic bands, splits fins, folding fins, etc, etc, etc.) I own others but always go back to my OMS Slips. ~ Good Luck

I agree Dave, I have a pair of atomic splits I use on vacation but almost always resort to my mind fins in the river. See us Sunday at the west bank?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom