Fins for Teching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LastManOut

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wondering, if I'm currently using Mares Quattro Excels, or Tusa Tri-Ex fins sometimes, are these fins considered good enough to use for tech work? I need to practice getting my leg strength up - should I be buying other fins?

Also, how do the Jet Fins that seem to be the weapon of choice compare with the above in terms of difficulty to kick. Do you need super strong legs?

Lastly, OMS Slipstream vs. Jet Fins... Can someone give me a quick run down?

Thanks in advance people.

-- N

Technique is probably more important than leg strength. The frog kick is the basic non-silting kick, and the foundation for back kicks and helicopter turns. It doesn't require huge amounts of leg strength. There are lots of discussions and videos around on how to do it.

Jets and Slipstreams are of similar size and shape, but the Slipstreams are fairly neutral in the water, while the Jets are negative. Which one you use depends on how much weight you need at the ends of your legs to trim out correctly. They both work well with the above kicks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom