Fins: OMS Slipstream vs. Jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlynch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
just learned my LDS carries Jet's (they are the only scubapro item they stock actually that i know of)

i currently have Slipstreams but was thinking of switching to Jets. I'd be interested in real users of each fin's opinions on them (and i would like to limit the discussion to these 2 fins, please)

Slipstreams are monopreane (Sp?) vs the Jet's neopreane (Again SP?) and the jets are heavier in the water - does it make a difference?

currently i have a bunch of fins that i need to get rid of and don't want to add another set to the pile... as i will be buying at least 2 sets more of whatever i get (DS and WS configs)

I will go an test dive them, but have not gotten to that stage yet...

I have both and use the Slipstreams for oversea trip because it is slightly lighter.
I really can't tell which is better in performance.

I have both slipstream & jets. Jets are made of rubber, not monoprene like the slipstreams, & noticeably softer than slipstream too. In use, they are similar enough, it is not worth the switch unless more weight is needed.

Cold water: Jets.

Warm water, and travel: Slipstreams.

Jets are heavy in luggage, and can unbalance you with minimal or no exposure protection on. Slipstreams are several pounds lighter for packing, and not negative, so easier to balance in very warm water setups.

Slight thread hi-jack, TSandM or anyone else, how do Slipstreams compare to the Hollis F-1s (which I dive and love!)?

Michael

If you need more feet weight then go with the heavier jets. Hollis's are even heavier and both are bullet proof. If your trim is poor due to a feet down swim position vs. horizontal, then the lighter Slips are whats needed. In the kick, I doubt there is much difference. I believe the Dive-rites are a bit lighter than slipstreams and thats what I have used for years.

Slight thread hi-jack, TSandM or anyone else, how do Slipstreams compare to the Hollis F-1s (which I dive and love!)?

Michael
I've owned Jets, Turtles, Slipstreams and F1's ... I currently dive the F1's almost exclusively ... primarily because of the foot pockets.

The Slipstreams compare most closely to the Jets ... they're slightly stiffer and about half the weight. My biggest complaint with both is the foot pocket, which is more appropriate to a 2x6 than a human foot. And their sizes are just downright strange ... particularly for folks who wear drysuits. I think DIR went with Turbosoles mainly so they could fit into the little girlie foot pocket that both Jets and Slipstreams refer to as "XL" ... and if you go up one size to the XXL, you'd better have feet like an NBA basketball player.

Turtles used to be the alternative for folks in drysuits with normal size feet ... but their XXXL, which is all they came in before XS Scuba started producing them, is very wide. The Turtles are noticeably softer than either the Jets or Slipstreams, and although I generally like the fins they don't give you the "snap" on a good strong kick that you'll get with either of the other two.

F1's are my preferred fin because they give you both the desired performance and a foot pocket that's actually designed for normal people. I can wear this fin all day without discomfort ... and it gives you all the performance you'd ever want for both power and finesse kicking. The only downside to the F1's is that they're bloody heavy.

So for local diving I use the F1's exclusively. For travel, I have the Slipstreams ... which do work quite OK in a wetsuit bootie. I kept the Turtles around as loaners ... and I sold the Jets.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I own the slipstreams but don't particularly like them. The foot pocket cuts into the top of my foot through the boot after about an hour making my ascents rather uncomfortable. Will be trying the Hollis fins shortly.

I prefer the OMS Slipstreams because they don't weigh down either my luggage or my feet quite as much. I like their performance in the water.

Because of the foot pocket issue raised above, I was advised to buy them a size larger than normal (so I got XL instead of L) and that has worked fine for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom