Fins Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one is going to tell you jet fins if you have a weak kick, but since you said you lap swim maybe... it depends on your trim. I am petite but I had floaty feet and jet fins were a revelation, solved my trim problems, gave incredible precision, and the “medium” size that fits my wonen’s Size 8, European 38, foot in a bootie, are really shorter than most scuba fins, so for me they pack well. I like swimming laps in them. They are heavy so you flutter slower, but they really shine in frog and dolphin. They give you momentum. At first they can cramp your feet a bit, but then they break in, and your legs get incredibly strong. If you put them together and dolphin kick they act like a powerful monofin. Helicopter and back kicks are easy. They are amazing. A design still going strong after 50+ years.

I have been using the Mares Avanti Quattro + for about 3.5 years now. I am 5’4” as well and have no idea what my weight is anymore but I should be around 130-135. A DM in Cozumel stalked me to buy them. I wear a size 8-8.5 in women’s shoes. She had been waiting for someone in her size to visit; she bought my original ones off me for the cost of me buying new ones. I guess dive gear is expensive out there but she says these are the go-to fins among the employees there.

My diving has progressed a lot since I got them. I now almost exclusively frog kick unless I need a burst of speed in very strong current; that is when I flutter/scissor kick. Be warned that these are stiff fins and they are best used with the frog kick which also happens to give excellent propulsion vs the effort and is conducive to better air consumption. The flutter/scissor with these fins is likely to cause cramping and not as efficient with these fins, especially for those with weaker leg muscles.

I have used these very successfully for muck diving, drift diving, and worked against strong current. It is excellent.

I replaced the original rubber strap with XS Scuba/Highlands spring straps and they are great. I use Aqua Lung Ellie 7mm boots with it in water from 45-100F. Love it.

I have heard of quite a few people having issues with their Sea Wing Novas snapping. Honestly, I think it is a potential additional weakness and failure point in the fin and that alone is a reason for me to steer clear.

Thank you! My biggest concern regarding any fins are the soles of my feet cramping (even just pointing my toes at the wrong time gives me killer cramps). Is this ever a problem for you?
Yes, I've had that exact problem with various fins. Only occurred when I was 2-3 hours in in a row in the pool with a class. Never did find a solution, but fortunately it doesn't hurt your mobility, just hurts like Hell. For years I have taken a potassium pill daily which has virtually eliminated all cramping (except the instep thing). Recently I heard from a Dr. that potassium pills can be harmful to the heart, but it depends on the person (my Dr. says I'm fine with it). I have also (just by chance) been using split fins for years, which of course have their pitfalls, but are apparently good for preventing cramps. I'm rarely in a rush anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom