Fins spring straps - Extra long or custom mades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monkkx

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

In an attempt to resolve issue I have with long feet/drysuit boots/fins, I'm looking for a longer than usual fin straps.
Ideally, a 14 inches (36cm) pin to pin, made the DIR way (SS spring, cave line inside, bolt pins, webbing tube, thumb pull ...). Is there any brand selling such long straps on the shelf, or any company able to make custom length straps?

Thanks in advance!

Most of them are 32CM or 33CM

If you search the DIY section probably 15-20 years ago, people regularly made spring straps. I made my first (and only, because the don’t die!) pair somewhere around 2005, because the only commercially-available ones at the time (at least as I remember it) came with a blue H and the accompanying price tag.

I don’t have the specs anymore, but essentially you bought a stainless steel door spring from McMaster, cut it to the desired length, ran cave line through it to prevent overextension, and figured out how to connect it to the fins. I used a brass coat hanger with my jet fins, then round shackles for fins that have the round posts (when you take the plastic buckles off), and now just leave the plastic buckle but replace the plastic pin that holds the strap with a stainless screw.

Something like this should work: McMaster-Carr

Not exactly sure on the spring specs, but check the archives and you can probably find a part number. Or if you’re really desperate, I can take some calipers to the springs I have (same ones from 15 years ago).

Jim

14578-10562_40_th.JPG
FROM
Tec Series Pin Type Fin Strap Large Size "Sold as SINGLES"

• These fin straps have many new features listed below
  • Also note that if you want a pair you must order 2! We do this for divers who may wish to purchase an extra one for that just in case failure or just to have a back up...
  • Features
  • We use a protective covering that protects your strap and gives a lower diving profile
  • This model has a pull tab to put on or off with ease!
  • This model has the locking pin which you to securie your strap to your fin!
  • Heel pull tab is sewn onto the spring strap!!
  • We use a string inside the spring so you cannot pull the spring out to far and damage it
  • High quality stainless steel spring for long life and reduces rust formation
  • LENGTH: pin to pin is 14 Inches!
  • NOTE: The best way to figure out your size is to put your boot on and slide it in your fin. Next take a string and go from hole to hole.. Than with that measure you now can check to see which fin strap will work best for you.. Remember you do not need these tight on your heel to work! If you are not sure just send us an email to piranhadivemfg@yahoo.com and put in the subject line "fin strap" with your above information and we will be glad to help you

Or, as noted above, just buy a set from Piranha Dive Mfg.

Fin Strap PIN Type

That’s one example, they have a bunch of different styles to mate to different fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom