Fins with splits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEP SEA

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been noticing more and more divers using the fins with the split down the middle. Anyone have any comments on how they perform and if you like them?

Brief intro

My dive Buddy's Son was doing his AOW navigation dive.
He has a pair of TUSA Xpert ZOOM.
His son and I have Apollo Bio Fins.
Son was at the natural navigation stage.

I thought I would swim along because the large rock that was sticking out of the water was home to a large catfish and wanted to see. I took a compass heading for my reference the three of us desended. The son took off not slow by any means once I looked down to read my compass I looked up a second later and all was to be seen was a silt trail, I increased my speed and barely kept up. after a few seconds of this I said heck and stopped took my bearings and went back. at the surface the Instructor asked where they were and I pointed that a way a few seconds later up pops the two over that a way(behind)..

Filling in the log books

The father was commenting on how fast his son was swimming and how he wished his son had flat bladed fins so couldn't go that fast.

I have twin-jets (Scubapro) and love them! The trick with the split fins is...use smaller kicks. Flutter kick. Then you will get the most out of them

People use them because they work

less effort with greater speed
less effort better air consumption
less effort not tired (can't spell f word) fati.......

the only bad thing is they suck for snorkeling to work well they have to be in and below the waterline

I've only tried Apollo Bios in the split fin dept. They are excellent fins, they almost perform as well as Jet Fins. I'm interested in trying Twin Jets and others.

All fins have to be underwater to be effective.

DSSW,

WWW™

I agree with what the others have said. I have paddle fins (USD Blades), and split fins (Scuba Pro black twin jets) . I like them both, and both allow me significantly better air consumption than other fins I have tried. To me, the major difference is that after 4 dives a day, my legs are much less tired/sore/stiff, with the split fins than the paddle fins- an important consideration as you start the second day with 4 more dives planned.
As with many things in diving, your personal preference -what you are most comfortable with- is of utmost importance.
There are several rather lengthy threads in the "Equipment:Fins"
section of the Board. if you check there,you'll see many varied opinions.
Good luck,
Miked

Well, this topic was a very interesting one for me when I started diving eons ago (back in October :) )

I own and use the TUSA xpert Zoom split fins myself.

What my research has found:
Split fins generate an average of 27% more thrust OR require 27% less effort to utilize.
The kick is a small Fluttter kick as opposed to a wide cross kick.
Split fins muct be used totally submerged else they are about the same as swimming with no fins at all.
and finaly; You tend to pay more for Split fins.

What my experience has taught me:
Split fins are excellent if you want to 1. reduce fatigue, 2. reduce air consumption, 3. reduce muscle crampingand gain 4. additions to your HORIZONTAL movement and Free Diving Descent.

Split fins are terrible if you are looking for 1. position stability (IE: For hovering in one spot to take a photograph underwater.), 2. Surface swimmming, 3. Turn manueverability using frog kicks, 4. Controlled emergency swimming ascents (I'd run out of air everytime I tried to reach the surface from 33 feet in this excercise while wearing split fins)

Some hearsay: People with long time experience with Paddle fins have the most trouble making the transition to Split fins. Therefore, the best people to use Split fins are people that learn on Split fins from the start.

However, if I had it to do over again, I would have done all my certification dives using Paddle fins instead of Splits as the extra "support" is essential in allot of the skills you are required to perform to check out.

Hope that was helpful and informative.

SpyderTek

My husband has the Scuba Pro twin jets split fins. He loves them. He has been a certified diver since he was 14 years old. He says they're the best fins he has ever had.
:sunny:

Well, if you like to dive fast with small effort, those beauties can be your thing. I used to call them "Automatic fins", aspecialy reffering to the mares "Vollo" fins, as you hardly feel you kick with them.

My personal opinion?
I like to dive slow, and I got better things to spend 200$ on.
Besides, Im a big and strong fellow, so I can kick with the good ol'ones.

Hi, DeepSea

Methinks me also saw a long thread on this under "equiptment--fins" recently...

But since you asked...

I have used many different types from the Scubapro Jetfins (conventional style) to trying several of the spit ones and recently purchasing a pair of the TUSA Xpert Zoom; they perform similarly to the Twinjets, but for much less $$!

My conclusions: The weak point is fine control, they are much worse for tight turns or careful positioning in a tight situation like upside down under a coral ledge trying to take a picture.

The good point is much less muscle work meaning dramatically lower air consumption. Folks who say they are strong swimmers (I am too) and don't need fins that make it easier are forgetting about the CO2 buildup in muscles and how blowing it off increases your air consumption. Anyone who is trying to figure out how to make a tank last longer should consider how to do less muscle work. And, for people who get tired or get leg cramps, the split fins essentially end those problems.

Of course, there is a learning curve--you have to learn to kick differently and, for people used to high resistance fins, relearning the biofeedback mechanisms of how you should kick based on the "feel".

I think this is brought up in the equiptment post, but I agree that the buckles are, for whatever reason, much more awkward than standard fins. I have solved this by drilling holes and putting in spring straps like I do with all of the fins I dive regularly.

HTH, and happy diving, no matter what ends up on your booties!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom