Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This mask, due to its curved surfaces, will cause spaciaI disorientation if used underwater. How do I know? I once tested a Scott SCBA for emergency use underwater by firefighters. I got those problems using the Scott mask.

SeaRat
The curved surfaces act as lenses. If cylindrically curved, they will correct astigmatism. Spherical curvature corrects, myopia. The really weird HydroOptix mask is like wearing a -4.5 diopter correction, so if you have normal vision you need to wear contacts to ruin your vision so the mask can correct it.
Diving Masks by HydroOptix -- Products -- 4.5DD Overview

The curved surfaces act as lenses. If cylindrically curved, they will correct astigmatism. Spherical curvature corrects, myopia. The really weird HydroOptix mask is like wearing a -4.5 diopter correction, so if you have normal vision you need to wear contacts to ruin your vision so the mask can correct it.
I remember when these were announced many years ago, the need to wear contacts with this mask put a torpedo into the sales potential of the product, as well as the very high price. The optical distortion of the D-Mask is the "practicality" that I was referring to. Maybe fine if you were a Cyclops with one eye in the center of your forehead! The other feature was a heads-up digital readout display and built-in led lights!

Without going into details, how long had elapsed between her first being noticed as missing and then being found?
I don't believe anybody knew she was missing. She couldn't been in the water more than 2h or so.

I don't believe anybody knew she was missing. She couldn't been in the water more than 2h or so.

I was told over two hours after he and she splashed. He had been out of the water for over an hour (50 min dive) when he heard the call for help. I asked him about her equipment but he knows nothing about rebreathers or BO bottles.

First, this is not what this thread is about. Second, the pictured full face "mask" is not the HydroOptics design, and will probably cause distortion.

SeaRat

I was told over two hours after he and she splashed. He had been out of the water for over an hour (50 min dive) when he heard the call for help. I asked him about her equipment but he knows nothing about rebreathers or BO bottles.

I don't think anyone has asked this stuff yet.

Do you know if there were any specifics about her physical state when she was recovered? Signs of hypoxia or CO poisoning (blue fingers, lips, etc.)? Signs of drowning like blood in her mask? An unusual amount or bloody lung fluids in the loop?

@tursiops any mention of something like this while you were there?

First, this is not what this thread is about. Second, the pictured full face "mask" is not the HydroOptics design, and will probably cause distortion.

SeaRat
Obviously we all know that, the point was that a mask such as this, or any full face mask, would have averted losing the mouthpiece and thus one's air supply if rendered incapable of retaining it in the mouth.

She made to 91m and back to 24m with air diluent. That means she was not OXTOX at PPO2 2.0 and as she accent to 24m, the PPO2 would steadily drop to 0.7, which would be in a normal range for diving with air. Why would she became unconscious at 24m with air diluent?

Could her CO2 scrubber be completely spent on the way up? If that was the case, she could also be in hypercapnia situation and became unconscious.

She made to 91m and back to 24m with air diluent. That means she was not OXTOX at PPO2 2.0 and as she accent to 24m, the PPO2 would steadily drop to 0.7, which would be in a normal range for diving with air. Why would she became unconscious at 24m with air diluent?

Could her CO2 scrubber be completely spent on the way up? If that was the case, she could also be in hypercapnia situation and became unconscious.
A medical condition may have caused a problem unrelated to her gas supply, only a coronial report will bring that out, if one is to be made public. Divers have died, particularly older divers, from other causes that were unsuspected at the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom