Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More is known than is in this thread, but you'd have to go to Bonaire and talk to the right people over a beer

:sigh: When?

57c86390d7ff0.image.jpg

People want to know
Of course people WANT to know. What I said was they do not have a RIGHT to know.

For Fiona's sake: come clean with all the information.
Don't tell me; I've provided all the info I have.
Tell the people NOT on SB who actually know something.

I was shocked to hear of Fi Fi's death. She was a very clever woman, who one would think knew what she was doing. I've been party to info downloaded from her unit. I suggest you all wait until full information is disclosed in the proper way.

You posted this more than a year ago. Any update?

I read these threads for a number of reasons. Education. Curiosity. Understanding. Perspective, etc. I think accidents do need to be analyzed. I also think respect for the dead should be maintained. As much as we wish to know what happened sometimes we can only guess. If people have inside information they do not want to share that should be respected and not questioned. We should try to avoid questioning a victims credentials. Accidents can happen to the most experienced and certified divers while a very inexperienced diver could get lucky and get away with some very poor decisions.

We have nothing to gain as a diving community by arguing with each other.

heres a summary from the thread all these below are quotes

I was on the dock while she was setting up. Inspiration, two AL40s. I did not see if they were plumbed into the BOV or not. She suited up, took the the two bottles, dropped them in, put her RB on, and entered the water. She did not prebreath on the dock, but may have in the water.....she remained face down at the surface for a while after she donned the two 40s, and then swam off

Well, 300 ft is confirmed, by head of tech ops at Buddy Dive. Worse, the dive was on air diluent.

His exact words to me were, "She was on air.

Both 40s were on her. One was removed, dropped, recovered, by another member of the recovery team.
The 40s contained 80% (untouched, still full) and 20/20, \Dil was air.

Handset showed 91m.

She was in a wetsuit. Water temp is 85, weak thermocline at 25m, another at 40m or so.

Fiona was diving 20/20, setpoint controller and computer set to air, dive to 91M with a 4M/min ascent/descent rate, and whatever happened to her happened at the 80 Foot stop.

The dil was air, gases were analyzed, according to Buddy Dive staff.

I have no info on which cylinder was being used for dil. I do know the 80% AL40 was untouched and the 20/20 had been used, but I don't know how much.

there was a quote in a news paper that said she was qualified but dont know what qualification that was,
there doesnt appear to be any record if 300' was her intended plan our not

What I said was they do not have a RIGHT to know.
Yeah, I read it the last time and I still find it lamentable. People still have a NEED to know. Your statement comes across like

4jjy4g.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what you've posted in here and no, I don't think you have all the answers. I hear this attitude all the time and it simply wrankles me when I do.

I was on the dock while she was setting up.

Thanks for the info and tieing it all together for us.

Yeah, I read it the last time and I still find it lamentable. People still have a NEED to know. Your statement comes across like
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what you've posted in here and no, I don't think you have all the answers. I hear this attitude all the time and it simply wrankles me when I do.

It rankles me when people act entitled. To anything. It definitely felt a bit like some of the posts recently had an air of entitlement to them. I thought @tursiops post was spot on. No, you do not NEED to know. You WANT to know.

We all WANT to know what really happened. But, approaching that question with an attitude of entitlement is, in my opinion, disrespectful and not as likely to produce the desired outcome as coming at it with some respect and the clear self-knowledge that it's something you would like, not something you have a right to..

I'm actually confused. Who said that they had a right to know anything, or that they were entitled?

I mean, I guess Pete's use of the word "need" can be interpreted in many different ways, but I didn't get that he was saying that he was entitled to answers. We all "need" to keep up on our training to be safe divers. We "need" answers about what happened here to learn something about the accident and so we won't make the same mistakes ourselves. But of course, no one is claiming that they are owed anything, as far as I can tell...

In any case, I learn a lot from these discussions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom