Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boat has been in service since the 80s. Every year it gets inspected.
What doesn't happen (until now)

Is someone looking at the outlets in the sleeping quarters and realizing that people may have taken their lithium ion phones to bed with them (for security and/or because they were using or recharging it). A battery type which didn't even exist when those outlets were wired. And that some phones have combusted on recharge and having a burning phone battery smoldering under a pillow or sleeping bag is a disaster waiting to happen because the smoke detectors have a high rate of failure for smoldering fires and the escape hatch at the other end is small and cramped as well.

Not saying this is necessarily the cause, but saying the CG inspector should be proactively voiding this boats COI because lithium ion phone batteries got invented since the boat was designed and built is pretty extreme.

I would be interested in learning how the sheriff is able to preliminarily conclude that the victims all died of smoke inhalation prior to being burned without a full autopsy. I guess that is the least gruesome scenario, but I have grown skeptical of most all government officials.

I would be interested in learning how the sheriff is able to preliminarily conclude that the victims all died of smoke inhalation prior to being burned without a full autopsy. I guess that is the least gruesome scenario, but I have grown skeptical of most all government officials.
If they were all or mostly recovered still prone and oriented in their bunks the obvious reason would be that they were not stampeding to the exit and died in their sleep of smoke inhalation.

The wood fiberglass construction burned so hot I doubt there is any lung tissue to examine. So there wont be a conclusive determination.

Did you read the link? It was the conclusions of pathologists, not the Sheriff; he was just reporting their findings.

Did you read the link? It was the conclusions of pathologists, not the Sheriff; he was just reporting their findings.
Also said they were unlikely to perform full autopsies based on that initial evaluation.

Yeah I agree with you, my apologies and I have to admit that the position of the victims if they were still retained in the bunks would be a very simple clue that I hadn’t considered. These scenarios are so repulsive that it is hard to really work through in my head.

Yeah I agree with you, my apologies and I have to admit that the position of the victims if they were still retained in the bunks would be a very simple clue that I hadn’t considered. These scenarios are so repulsive that it is hard to really work through in my head.
Agreed. :(

Not saying this is what they did, but an example: They take blood samples from each and run it through a toxicology battery. If they see lethal levels of toxins...

Tox scans take a while normally, but that is because it takes a while to get to the top of the tester's work queue, not because it takes a long time to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom