• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by divezonescuba, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAUI Wowie

NAUI Wowie Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99

there is no door on the normal exit point from below decks. and an escape hatch somewhere else wouldnt be locked. Possibly that was just confusion on part of the coast guard employee or a standard vessel response not knowing the layout of a specific vessel.

Julie T, markmud, shoredivr and 4 others like this.
  2. george_austin

george_austin Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Very sad. There’s going to be youngsters on this trip too. Prayers for all.

Tripp09 likes this.
  3. george_austin

george_austin Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞

4. tehach

tehach Angel Fish

Esprise Me likes this.
  5. azstinger11

azstinger11 Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    This irks the hell out of me. Like this family hasn't been through enough.

Attached Files:

Gdog, kumimonster, K_girl and 5 others like this.
  6. HalcyonDaze

HalcyonDaze Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    It's a fine line to walk, but I agree with this statement - start with what we know, suggest what might have caused those events, and then refine the discussion as new information comes up. One of my bigger pet peeves on the forum is when someone comes in with a pet theory or ax to grind and keeps at it even after that line of inquiry has either been ruled unlikely or ruled out entirely. A good rule of thumb is to use your sense of humility - are you contributing to the discussion with a plausible and reasoned sequence of events that can be discussed and evaluated against the known facts, or are you showing off how much you know about a particular topic?

For instance, I don't get what the reference to "series of tragedies" in post #75 was meant to imply, given those were two unrelated incidents over an unspecified timeframe that don't remotely deserve to be labeled "tragedies" in this context.

Tricia, DebbyDiver, drrich2 and 6 others like this.
  7. swamp diver

swamp diver Barracuda

Would there have been nitrox or large O2 bottles stored on this boat? If so where?

8. NAUI Wowie

NAUI Wowie Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Its the internet. Some people are just insane unfortunately. And I agree with you.

edit to add in that I was referring to the pic he found on facebook where some crazy was ranting against the dive organizers. Who seem to have all been on the boat from previous posts.

9. outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb HARRO HUNNAYYY

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I agree with you. It sparks a lot of questions being asked in our own dive lives. I posted this because people were saying to stop speculating etc., and to follow the rules of the forum but it specifically states in the rules of the forum that we should talk about causes, theories, etc. I just wanted to point that out given this.

Diving Dubai and Buoy_A like this.
  10. NickB-LA

NickB-LA Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I think that is a function of a move to a new location. From what it appears the company is now located in Winters CA., not Santa Cruz according to their "Contact Us" section of their website.

chillyinCanada likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.