Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last reports seem to indicate that when it was detected by the crew, essentially the aft portion of the salon was on fire. Thy jumped down (I assume either on the side or front of the boat), and found the galley was inaccessible due to thick smoke, and the rear by fire. That would suggest to me the fire didn't start in the berths, as you'd expect that to go up the stairway at the front.

--
Some modern smoke detectors also take other factors into account, such as temperature and humidity. Those may or may not meet specific code.

Five crew members survived, and five crew members were asleep. One of the crew perished in the lower bunks. So doesn't that sound like one crew member had to be awake?

Five crew members survived, and five crew members were asleep. One of the crew perished in the lower bunks. So doesn't that sound like one crew member had to be awake?

No. From the report, "At the time of the fire, five crewmembers were asleep in berths behind the wheelhouse, and one crewmember was asleep in the bunkroom, which was accessed from the salon down a ladderwell in the forward, starboard corner of the compartment."

Historically, people were advised against placing smoke detectors in proximity to cooking areas as ionization smoke alarms were too easily triggered by burnt food and steam, resulting in frequent false alarms (and disabled smoke detectors). That advice has mostly changed with the advent of photoelectric smoke detectors, which are more discerning (but can be slower to react). As to if or how this change has impacted maritime regulations, I have no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if maritime regulations were out of date in this regard.

There are definite regulations for accommodation areas, galleys, engine rooms to name a few. I didn't find regulations for general areas saying "you must have a smoke or heat detector in every single area".
[Edit. As the thread summary indicates] they did not need a smoke detector in the cabin. Clearly it would have been helpful, but not regulated.

As to the galley heat detector, it probably would detect a kitchen flame-up, but it is too far away from a cabin fire to be all that useful as an early-detection device. A fire has to be quite involved to generate sufficient heat to trigger it, unless the detector is directly over the flame.

There are definite regulations for accommodation areas, galleys, engine rooms to name a few. I didn't find regulations for general areas saying "you must have a smoke or heat detector in every single area". Likely they did not need a smoke detector in the cabin. Clearly it would have been helpful, but not regulated.

As to the galley heat detector, it probably would detect a kitchen flame-up, but it is too far away from a cabin fire to be all that useful as an early-detection device. A fire has to be quite involved to generate sufficient heat, unless the detector is directly over the flame.
The berthing areas were the only place that required a smoke detector. Read the thread.

Not sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure there was only bunks for five in the crew quarters. The sixth crew member was an office worker who had begged to go out on the boat, so an extra. We also had an extra on our trip, also an office worker they had wanted to experience the boat. She bunked downstairs, and even served as a dive buddy for us. There was a single bunk labeled "crew only" in the front, though she slept in a double bunk that wasn't being used (floor level).

So, let’s pause for a bit. We still don’t know what happened. It could run the gamut from a normally well regarded crew member accidentally falling asleep to the captain not having a standard anchor watch . All scenarios appear to be criminal and disgusting, but perhaps we should lower the pitchforks until we have a better understanding

That being said, as someone who has defended TA, I am gutted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom