• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by divezonescuba, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiveFlyDive

DiveFlyDive Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The last liveaboard I was on had 2 above deck exits (no accommodation below deck) and a large door like emergency exit. It was purposely designed which makes a difference.

2. beester

beester DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I'm really gutted reading this. I think most of us feel the same way, we've all been on liveaboards, one or the other, it really hits home. I feel for the victims, the crew, the families and friends involved.

I hope a full investigation will get to the bottom of this.

Really really sad!

3. Scuba-74

Scuba-74 Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    That is correct.

JDelage likes this.
  4. hammet

hammet Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Given the utter destruction of the wreckage I doubt any valid determination will be made.[/QUOTE]

HKGuns likes this.
  5. KevinNM

KevinNM DIR Practitioner

Shouldn’t a mayday from a commercial vessel automatically also transmit the vessel name and gps coord to the coast guard?

6. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Sounds good. Every boat that I've been on, save one, was purpose built. Regardless. . .

7. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I thought about this incident a lot last night, I really didn’t sleep well. I get up and see it all over the news again.
    I’ve been running theories over and over in my mind about what could have caught fire so fast and what could have been an ignition source.
    I’m thinking it was a battery in a charger that ignited. The huge fuel source I think was a large grouping of boat coats hanging directly in the area of a battery charging counter. I’ve never been on the Conception, but from a few photos that have been posted I saw boat coats hanging in the gangway into the salon. Boat coats are made 100% out of synthetic material that I seriously doubt have any fire retardant qualities. Maybe someone with prior experience on the Conception can fill us in on the proximity of clothing hanging area and battery charging area?
    I don’t know if we are allowed to speculate and discuss yet, if not moderators please delete as you see fit.

Satrekker, Julie T, shoredivr and 4 others like this.
  8. JDelage

JDelage Solo Diver

This is very sad, and very scary. I can't imagine what those people's last few moments must have been but it's a tragedy.

9. DrMack

DrMack Angel Fish

Only if it was a DSC transmission. A voice mayday on channel 16 does not automatically transmit the digital distress information on channel 70 that a press of the DSC button produces.

10. hammet

hammet Manta Ray

USCG sometimes has the capability to triangulate VHF signals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.