Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about this incident a lot last night, I really didn’t sleep well. I get up and see it all over the news again.
I’ve been running theories over and over in my mind about what could have caught fire so fast and what could have been an ignition source.
I’m thinking it was a battery in a charger that ignited. The huge fuel source I think was a large grouping of boat coats hanging directly in the area of a battery charging counter. I’ve never been on the Conception, but from a few photos that have been posted I saw boat coats hanging in the gangway into the salon. Boat coats are made 100% out of synthetic material that I seriously doubt have any fire retardant qualities. Maybe someone with prior experience on the Conception can fill us in on the proximity of clothing hanging area and battery charging area?
I don’t know if we are allowed to speculate and discuss yet, if not moderators please delete as you see fit.
Eric;
I’m following this thread even though a huge part of it is fear driven by people who may wish to reevaluate their hobby as to risk factors and vocal experts who have never seen a dive boat making claims about death traps etc. this happened less than 30 hours ago, so far other than a a rough number of people on the boat we KNOW nothing! I’ve been on Conception but more often on vision, these are good boats and a great outfit overall
3318A66E-5D16-486B-B5BE-FAC51ADC1CAE.jpeg
The one theory that I find to be interesting is the battery fire idea, and even if that isn’t the cause of this fire maybe some changes need to be made in where and how battery charging should be allowed, I don’t know but I do know that there are battery restrictions in place for air travel and shipping in general.

For anyone who thinks the NTSB can’t come up with plausible and or probable explanations for this tragedy has seen what they can do with airplane wrecks, I anxiously await the findings.

Note the picture of the escape hatch in the video, you can see the red sign on it from the outside telling you to keep it clear and why, there is usually one near the hatch below too but the video capture is not at an angle that shows this and actually makes it look worse the it is. And for the not well maintained claim it seems some base this on passenger crap laying around which happens as people move stuff around and is common, it has nothing to do with boat maintenance.

These are west coast “dive boats” not luxury vacation liveaboards, as you, Eric once pointed out, west cost divers are different and west coast diving is different, i and most of my dive buddies don’t want hand holding and that sometimes spoils trips abroad where they are used to catering to people more closely, I just want to enjoy my diving my way.

The insurance payout will be astronomical and I hope the dive operations can survive the new premiums, like those of us in rural California are finding with fire insurance after the past few years of wildfires.

Did they? Where are the markings for that hatch? Is there emergency lighting on it? Can it be quickly or easily engaged?

Where does it even go to?
It’s in the video, the outside exit is shown right after the head shot, also the inside shot you posted doesn’t show the angle properly to see the sign or where it would be.

Maybe start charging the lithium batteries in those fire and explosion proof bags?

Tragic... I was contemplating going on a multi-day with Truth Aquatics in October. I'll probably wait a couple of years until the cause of this fire and the ensuing regulations happen before going on any live aboard now.

Rest in peace. :(

Is it common to leave batteries on charge overnight? If so, perhaps that practice should be forbidden.

Yes it is. There are so many I usually don't bother to recharge, just use what I have charged and carry extra regular AA's. Of course I'm not a photographer, just point and shoot so my non-diving friends can see why I'm crazy.

I would not bet against a no charging at night precautionary measure untill they sort out the reason for the fire.

Bob

I remember when the Oceanos went down. The crew managed to get off just fine.

Yes it is. There are so many I usually don't bother to recharge, just use what I have charged and carry extra regular AA's. Of course I'm not a photographer, just point and shoot so my non-diving friends can see why I'm crazy.

I would not bet against a no charging at night precautionary measure untill they sort out the reason for the fire.

Bob
aa's don't bother me, charging lithium video lights, scooters, lights etc do. They should never be charged unattended.

It’s in the video, the outside exit is shown right after the head shot, also the inside shot you posted doesn’t show the angle properly to see the sign or where it would be.

I thought that was the case, and is clearer on this large monitor than it was on my phone. Its an emergency exit through a 2X2 opening into a 3 foot tall unlit cabinet that you'd have to be either a contortionist or 10 years old to use, considering the height of the revenue bunk underneath.

Seems incredibly jacked up to me.

As to the angle issue, every place I've ever been with an emergency exit has clear markings approaching it, and a clear path to use it. In this instance, unless someone tells you where it is, it isn't readily visible, even with the lights on.

There is only only one liveaboard on the Great Lakes. It sails out of MN and goes to wrecks around Isle Royale in Lake Superior. I believe it’s usually a 4-5 day trip. I’ve asked people I know who’ve been on that boat for how it’s laid out, in light of this tragedy, but I’m waiting for responses.

This irks the hell out of me. Like this family hasn't been through enough.

Same kind of people that down vote every youtube vid, and report everything to fb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom