Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of this as a water taxi that you live on.

i really cringe every time I see that said about a dive boat, it's myth that has been perpetuated in the dive industry.

Regardless, this tragedy is not about the dive aspects

If this terrible catastrophe does not change the way these boats are being operated / cramped-up with guests to the the last inch, then I dont know what else needs to happen...

But then again, two 737-MAX had to fall from the sky before anyone bothered to act....

@Wookie had a good post about the whole "just a taxi" idea, but I'm not sure where it was. I'll continue looking for it.

i really cringe every time I see that said about a dive boat, it's myth that has been perpetuated in the dive industry.

Regardless, this tragedy is not about the dive aspects

It’s not a myth. It really was that. Someone was comparing the cost of the trip with Truth to that of liveaboard diving that is usually more expensive. I wanted to give perspective that it is appropriately priced given the food/living/dive logistics and quality are completely different. I have been on it and that is what it is.

I agree the tragedy is not about the dive aspects but the post suggested a tone of “you get what you pay for and it’s too good to be true/skepticism should be exhibited” manner and I felt compelled to clarify the arrangements because many people see the word “liveaboard” and associate it with something completely different. It was appropriately priced for what it offered and it is not to be compared to usual liveaboards.

This thread has made me both remember, and appreciate, my recent trip on the Nautilus Explorer to the Revillagigedos. Up to 17 passengers are located in 9 cabins below deck. The other 8 passengers are on the wheelhouse deck. The main exit from below deck is a stairway at one end that exits onto the covered dive deck. The emergency hatch exit was at my end of the hall, accessed by a sturdy ladder, and exited into the dining room. Both exits and the alarms and emergency lighting were pointed out during the safety briefing. All passengers were required to retrieve their PFD, don it correctly and gather at the muster site on the dive deck. At least 3 passengers were required to put on their PFD again so that it was done properly. I did not necessarily appreciate this at the time.

The crew held a fire fighting drill one afternoon that did not include the passengers. Other crew members helped 2 of the crew quickly don fire fighting attire and breathing apparatus. They then deployed hoses and other fire fighting equipment. This equipment was all stored in a closet on the dive deck adjacent to the stairway from below deck and the exit door from the salon. The exercise was timed. I asked one of the crew about the exercise and he simply said they perform the drill once each sail, just in case. I did not necessarily appreciate this at the time either.

I have never paid very much attention to safety considerations when choosing a liveaboard, I believe that has changed now. I was already considering a return trip to the Revillagigedos on the Explorer, mostly because it was such a great trip with a fantastic crew. That return trip has now moved even further up my list. The fire on the Conception has scared the complacency, and other things, out of me
That preparedness for fire and emergency response was evident on an Explorer live aboard I took years ago. Seems they are doing it right.

It’s not a myth. It really was that. Someone was comparing the cost of the trip with Truth to that of liveaboard diving that is usually more expensive. I wanted to give perspective that it is appropriately priced given the food/living/dive logistics and quality are completely different. I have been on it and that is what it is.

I agree the tragedy is not about the dive aspects but the post suggested a tone of “you get what you pay for and it’s too good to be true/skepticism should be exhibited” manner and I felt compelled to clarify the arrangements because many people see the word “liveaboard” and associate it with something completely different. It was appropriately priced for what it offered and it is not to be compared to usual liveaboards.
it is a myth, no licensed dive charter is simply a taxi and has no responsibility for anything but getting them there and back.

it is a myth, no licensed dive charter is simply a taxi and has no responsibility for anything but getting them there and back.

@JohnnyC

I get what you are saying but that is not what I mean from a liability and responsibility standpoint when I say it is a water taxi. I am saying they do not extend the usual dive services of a regular liveaboard and they take you out there for you to figure out the diving yourself. It’s almost like you are doing unguided shore dives and they let you dive as much as you want because it’s just air fills for them but in this case you have been motored out by boat.

I wholeheartedly feel there is liability and responsibility here. It should be safe, licensed, and insured, etc. All the things. But relative to other liveaboards and what Truth “liveaboards” offered, again, my point was that it is completely different and the price is what it is for a reason, and appropriately so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom