Firefighter killed filling tanks - Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
It sounds like he was filling a tank. Maybe it was simply a fire department tank, but the reporter called it scuba?

Fire Fighters use SCBA and could be confused with SCUBA.
Reporters use terms without checking to get to press sooner.

Fire Fighters use SCBA and could be confused with SCUBA.
Reporters use terms without checking to get to press sooner.
I don't see that much in the way of bodies of water around the town, so the tanks may well have not been for diving. But don't they use tanks and compressors like ours? Seems similar enough to remind me how dangerous ours can be.

I don't see that much in the way of bodies of water around the town, so the tanks may well have not been for diving. But don't they use tanks and compressors like ours? Seems similar enough to remind me how dangerous ours can be.
I have a hard time using the word "dangerous" for something that kills one or two people a year worldwide. I would say tanks are astoundingly safe things that with untold millions in use, many of them very old, and being filled often by untrained personnel untold millions of times each year, almost never hurt anyone.

Compressors yes. Tanks, not necessarily. It could have been a fibre wrapped tank, but probably not.

It's so hard to get the real circumstances from a newspaper article since they are so notoriously wrong with their facts.

I have a hard time using the word "dangerous" for something that kills one or two people a year worldwide.
I did say can be. Lots of things can be, enough to deserve attention.

Compressors yes. Tanks, not necessarily. It could have been a fibre wrapped tank, but probably not.

It's so hard to get the real circumstances from a newspaper article since they are so notoriously wrong with their facts.

why probably not? I don't think I've seen a steel or aluminum tank in a fire department in years, especially as they're upgrading to 6k psi systems...

I don't see that much in the way of bodies of water around the town, .
There are always rivers, lakes, ponds, quarries, ditches, etc in the eastern half of the US. Firemen are sometimes part of dive teams that work with police and fire and rescue.

SCBA bottles are wrapped fiberglass and the common psi rating is 4500. the fill stations are the same though. i fill my scuba tanks at the fire house using a $60 adapter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom