First Aid & CPR prerequisite for Rescue Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DAN slates are pretty good. The Neurological slate is probably enough to get people to remember what to do. The HMLI slates are great.
I've done DFA Pro, DEMP, and the individual courses. DEMP is the sweet spot for content vs time, I think.
And it is more cost-effective than the PADI courses for the students. I don't know about the NAUI course(s).

NAUI is identical to DAN, it's essentially DAN by NAUI

O2 kits at our shop cost $700 CAD. Since I figured to work there as an assistant, I got the owner to go over the O2 set-up of the bottle, as the $700 wasn't gunna happen. I wrote the steps down and review them once weekly. I was shown how to set it up in the Rescue course once and in the DM course once-- useless to me if I had to use that knowledge a month or 2 years from then. Same idea as why I review my CPR book daily and practice a CESA regularly, to quote myself from 2 other recent threads.

PADI pushes EFR to make money. Any recognized First Aid/CPR course meets the Rescue Diver requirements.

I've had the opportunity to take EFR, ARC & National Safety Council courses over the years. In terms of the quality of the courses including instruction & materials I would rate ARC #1, NSC #2 and EFR #3.

PADI pushes EFR to make money. Any recognized First Aid/CPR course meets the Rescue Diver requirements.

I've had the opportunity to take EFR, ARC & National Safety Council courses over the years. In terms of the quality of the courses including instruction & materials I would rate ARC #1, NSC #2 and EFR #3.
And DAN is better than any of them, for divers.

NSC First Aid, CPR & AED Course, that can be found locally, are also acceptable for the Rescue Diver class pre-requisites.

And DAN is better than any of them, for divers.

Good point. I have also taken the full DEMP set of courses. They are outstanding. For some reason it didn't "click" that the DEMP can also serve as the prereq for Rescue. For me I took it too long before I took rescue and I therefore needed a refresher. I went with ARC which is also quite good. It just isn't focused on diving obviously.

Neuro exam is just a sobriety test, but I agree that DEMP is better than the others, but not to the point that I would actively seek it out, especially for the O2 unless you plan on having your own O2 kit which most don't. You'll never use it if you don't have your own.

I am a DAN Instructor and teach a lot of DEMP and DFA Pro classes. I really could not disagree more with your comment that the Neuro exam is a sobriety test. I have had more of my students use their Neuro cert than cpr/aed/O2. My wife had a spinal issue and the double board certified neurosurgeon began his exam with the exact same neurological assessment that DAN teaches. I have also experienced sobriety checkpoints - no resemblance...

OP. I'm in the Midwest and teach DAN courses. Please let me know if you would like to get certified for DEMP or any others.

I am a DAN Instructor and teach a lot of DEMP and DFA Pro classes. I really could not disagree more with your comment that the Neuro exam is a sobriety test. I have had more of my students use their Neuro cert than cpr/aed/O2. My wife had a spinal issue and the double board certified neurosurgeon began his exam with the exact same neurological assessment that DAN teaches. I have also experienced sobriety checkpoints - no resemblance...

it's not a knock on it, the neuro exam and was partially tongue in cheek, but it is very similar to a properly done sobriety test.

For anyone curious, here is a link to the full Neuro
https://dan.diverelearning.com/files/aOA48kz98a0Qf1s9lkz348/DAN-NEURO-Student-Handbook.pdf

NAUI is identical to DAN, it's essentially DAN by NAUI
You mean NAUI teaches the DAN courses, with DAN materials, or rebranded NAUI materials, or what? How does NAUI add value to the DAN classes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom