First BP/W purchase, need advise on backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello Scuba Board community,
I'm about to purchase my first BP/W setup and due to a lot of older threads im quite sure what kind of setup I want to get. The only question I still have is what backplate marterial should I get? Im based in South East Asia so I wont need anything thicker than a 3mm suit and I'm only doing single tank diving at the moment. Most people seem to suggest SS plates because they allow you to take weight off the belt however the last couple of dives I did I was able to hold a safety stop at 50 bar wearing a 3mm shorty with only 1kg on my belt with an AL80 tank. Would you recommend getting and Aluminum Plate in that case or should I get one of the dog bone shaped SS plate? If you have any other suggestions or ideas I'd be glad if you could share them with me. Thank you very much in advance for answering my question.
Jonathan

One of the things that factors into some people's decision is whether or not you plan to travel (fly) a lot. If you plan to dive locally, then a stainless steel wing (dog bone or otherwise) might give you the best option. If you plan to travel, then saving a few pounds with an aluminum plate might keep you below that "magical" 50lb barrier for airlines. Another option, might be to go with an ultra light-weight travel plate such as the Mares XR.

soft-backplate.jpg

Given the fact that you need very little weight to be neutrally buoyant, if I were you, I would likely tend to lean toward either an aluminum back plate or maybe even an ultra light-weight one. Keep in mind, that if you do opt for one like the XR, it might offer less stability than a rigid aluminum or SS plate would.

Good luck in your search.

If you are not going into technical diving the DIR way, a good option I can recommend based my recent experience is the Xdeep Ghost travel BP/W. They have 2 options. A basic and a deluxe. I got the deluxe and I'm very happy with it. Very light so ideal for travel too.
Here are a couple of threads with reviews that helped me consider:
Review: XDeep Ghost BCD- BP/W
xDeep NX ghost

The second one has a video I posted that someone took of me during my 1st dives with it a couple of weeks ago, so you see it in action.

I dive more or less solely in SE Asia and Aluminium plate is readily available and pretty cheap as well. And even tec divers are using it in this part of the world.

If you can dive with only 1kg using an aluminum back plate than I would not go for a steel plate. I found diving with my 3mm wetsuit in warm water and a steel back plate that I was negative with no weights. This meant I had to add air to the wing just to stay neutral. When I bought a back plate I wasn't too picky. I just went with whatever was cheapest. I got a Hollis plate because it was on sale.

Hello Scuba Board community,
I'm about to purchase my first BP/W setup and due to a lot of older threads im quite sure what kind of setup I want to get. The only question I still have is what backplate marterial should I get? Im based in South East Asia so I wont need anything thicker than a 3mm suit and I'm only doing single tank diving at the moment. Most people seem to suggest SS plates because they allow you to take weight off the belt however the last couple of dives I did I was able to hold a safety stop at 50 bar wearing a 3mm shorty with only 1kg on my belt with an AL80 tank. Would you recommend getting and Aluminum Plate in that case or should I get one of the dog bone shaped SS plate? If you have any other suggestions or ideas I'd be glad if you could share them with me. Thank you very much in advance for answering my question.
Jonathan

I'm currently investigating the same as you. I've not yet found a definitive answer but was leaning towards a full SS plate (weighing ~2kg). I only dive tropical, always fly but IDC re an extra kg or so, full 3/2 wetsuit (SP Everflex Med Tall= tall n skinny version), and use 10lb in a Hydros Pro. Could probably get that to 8lb w/o too much of a push.. My (interim) reasons are from scouring SB are; AL is quite floaty, it seems a lot of divers use Eric's SS Freedom plate in tropical (that weighs 4.5lb/2kg in medium size - source: Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.).

I was guesstimating I would still be slightly positive with a 2kg plate, but really don't know and with comments above am more unsure now.

@stuartv I'm curious (if you've done it both in tropical) when you switch from your Hydros Pro to Eric's plate and your wing, what wight change occurs when you wear you 3/2 Everflex?

@rsingler I recall your pic from the GC trip, did you find yourself neutralish?

If you can dive with only 1kg using an aluminum back plate than I would not go for a steel plate. I found diving with my 3mm wetsuit in warm water and a steel back plate that I was negative with no weights. This meant I had to add air to the wing just to stay neutral. When I bought a back plate I wasn't too picky. I just went with whatever was cheapest. I got a Hollis plate because it was on sale.

Are you using a shorty or full? Do you have an approx feel of how negative you were?

I started out with a SS plate but traded with a guy for aluminum. I figured there was no sense carrying around 4 extra pounds in my luggage. I also didn't need those 4 fixed pounds on my back instead of having the option of shifting them around for trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom