First Camera Rig - Help w. TG5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Hoag pretty much nailed it.

Unless you are very shallow in very clear water there will be a noticeable drop off in color, contrast and clarity as you get further from the subject.

I typical try to get within 1-2 feet and use a wide angle lens so that I can still frame the entire subject/scene.

For photos, strobes are better but you still have to abide good subject proximity and you don't need to worry as much about white balancing with strobes, set to auto or cloudy and make fine adjustments in post if necessary.

Those are great shots for starting out; you can check out my flickr albums for examples of a tg-4 with strobes.

@ladiver33 just out of curiosity, are you looking for a set-up for still photos, or for video, or one that is able to do both to some degree?

Thanks for that question. I was primarily interested in video only. However, after this last trip, I learned that I could use video lights for still photos. For some reason, I didn't think the results would be remotely passable.
So looking for a setup that could do both to some degree.

For now, I think best bet is to look at two more higher power video lights on the sides. I am using the TG5 housing which does have a clip/mount on top of it which can hold a single light.
In theory, I could add a stationary strobe, but I think that would/could be weird?

(or the reverse, having one video light in the center, with strobes on the side but again. more interested in video ...

@Hoag pretty much nailed it.

I typical try to get within 1-2 feet and use a wide angle lens so that I can still frame the entire subject/scene.
Those are great shots for starting out; you can check out my flickr albums for examples of a tg-4 with strobes.

Thanks for the encouragement! Curious, Does the Tg4/5 have a wide angle lens that clips over the housing? (wet lens?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom