First dive at 40 meters - Newbies recreational

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We were three: the DM, me and my wife and partner in dive.
Everyone with a 12 liters steel tank pressurized at 210 bars. No pony. Just a cylinder with reg and octopus at safety stop (5m) on the anchor line.
Sunny weather air 27 degrees C. Water temperature 26 degrees C.
Calm water at the surface.
(Small fishing) Boat dive.
This was the last SSI deep dive training session.

Back roll entry then regroup at the surface and descend to a 12 meters underwater sand platform. I am glad that I finally managed to continuously equalize my ears as the first 6 meters have been awful in a handful previous dives. No problem this time. Kneeling at the bottom: Buoyancy control: ok, mask integrity: ok, breathing rhythm: ok. SPG: ok. Computer: ok. Viz: 20 m. The dive starts at a slow pace. It is actually a slope dive where you gradually descend. So gradually that my eyes fail to inform me ( I need to work on that). If my ears did not let me know every 0,3 or 0,5 bar pressure increase, I would dive oblivious of the descent (without the gauge and computer). The dive plan is clear, we start shallow (less than 20 meters) for a very limited time so that we are comfortable with our sensations then if everyone is ok, we go deep. 10 minutes after water entry, the DM gives the descend sign. SPG at 180/ 190 bars for everyone ( strangely, in our last dives, the three of us seem to have almost the very same gas consumption). It is still a slope. The scenery and aqualife are mesmerizing at such a point that I am surprised when my computer alerts me that I am approaching 40 meters. I must have equalized mechanically. We still have light from the surface. I was expecting dark, cold temperature, a new world but nothing really. No Nitrogen narcosis ( I was disappointed as I said that I wanted to face it and beat it. Don't call me fool please. I like making jokes). My previous max depth was 33.4 and as we stop at 40.5, there is no new feeling. However, for a recreational diver, 40 is the saint barrier. The ultimate psychological goal. And we are happy ( Even if it is not the first time for the DM, he played along). As we are congratulating each other (40,5 m might not be much for some but it was an achievement for my wife and I), computers start beeping: 1 minutes to NDL. WTF! We must have descended too slow and spend too much time between 30 and 40.
Damned! We can’t stay any longer. And we forgot the camera ( no picture to immortalize the moment). SPG at 150/ 160 and going down fast. We started to ascend parallel to the wall reef that was the end of the dive and guess what? Impossible to reach the reef. An adverse strong horizontal current has decided otherwise. I knew it was too easy before. You need to deserve it. No panic ( Good Lord, bless the dive briefing), my wife and I decide not to fight the current and slowly ascend while being dragged ( we have a boat at the surface and the "skipper" is very good). At some point my wife joins hands and then the macho surfaces :) . You wife count on you, man. Don't f... up! Show confidence and control. As we ascend, I monitor my depth and realize that we are not progressing. It must have been 30 seconds that we are flipping upwards and we only moved from 40 to 37. What's wrong? Usually, it is the other way around. We must slow down not to ascend too fast. Is there a physical bareer that no one on SB told me about? Is the situation serious? Then my brain takes over. What if? What if we can't ascend as planned? What should I do? Is there a down current (not uncommon)? Think, think, think fast? Your wife's life depends on you. Don't panic, don't get exhausted, think then act accordingly. I decided to increase the amplitude of my flips but not the frequency so that I could keep my breathing steady. I fought the urge to inflate our BCDs (we are still breathing and we have air so there is no immediate emergency) and I made a very quick calculation (worst case scenario, we consume 5 times our SAC. 5x11 l/min round to 12, it is 60 l/min. with 150 bar that is 1800 liters, we have 30 min so no need to panic). So we continued to fin. Then, the computer again. Stop at 20 meters: 2 minutes. At this point, I would have been happy to be at 20 meters but I realized that I was at 28. Relief. We continued finning calmly and at about 25 meters, we saw the most magnificent reef we had ever seen. Wonderful colors but mainly yellow. Never seen such a beautiful scenery even at the Louvres. My wife released my hand grip and we swam towards the reef as there was no current there. I decided that we would do the stop there and inform the DM. The DM was slightly above us, still in control. I don't know how long we stayed there but probably more than 2 minutes. Then the computer said: 12 meters - 2 minutes stop. So we ascended, complied with the stop and went to 5 meters for the 5 minutes stop (computer said 2 minutes). We surfaced with 40 bars without using the safety cylinder.
Summary:
Total dive time: 40 minutes.
Max depth: 40,5 meters

When we surfaced, I was the proudest man underseas. My wife said: this is the most enjoyable dive we've had (so far, all my dives have been with her). It was WONDERFUL!!! And then I said: it was hot at some point when you took my hand and she replied: I was enjoying it so much, our first real challenging dive, a real wonderful dive, that I wanted to physically share it with you. I loved it. Let's come back tomorrow. So much for the guy who thought he was the hero of the day :).

We do not intend to go deeper than 40 meters anytime soon unless we decide to go for tech diving one day ( not before 2021 H2). We do not even intend to go back to 40 meters just for the sake of it but only if there is something to see but this dive has been an achievement, a consecration and a confirmation that diving will now be a big part of our life.
It’s been a wonderful 50 days journey from the day we visited a dive shop for the first time to now AOW with 37 dives. And that's only the beginning. Even if we are both 51 years old.

Attachments

• Poster.JPG
    Poster.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 309
My wife just told me that she believes that the reason we ascended so slow was that we were not vertical but probably 45 degrees from horizontal due to the current. She might be right.

We were three: the DM, me and my wife and partner in dive.
Everyone with a 12 liters steel tank pressurized at 210 bars. No pony. Just a cylinder with reg and octopus at safety stop (5m) on the anchor line.
Sunny weather air 27 degrees C. Water temperature 26 degrees C.
Calm water at the surface.
(Small fishing) Boat dive.
This was the last SSI deep dive training session.

Back roll entry then regroup at the surface and descend to a 12 meters underwater sand platform. I am glad that I finally managed to continuously equalize my ears as the first 6 meters have been awful in a handful previous dives. No problem this time. Kneeling at the bottom:

Stop right there! Oh-boy are you in trouble (see bolded text in quote). :D

My wife just told me that she believes that the reason we ascended so slow was that we were not vertical but probably 45 degrees from horizontal due to the current. She might be right.

Nah! She's being all too kind. The real reason is she's holding your hand to swim you up. You can't go fast pulling someone up without inflating the BC. :wink:

I read Steve Lewis's book "Six skills and other discussions" and found some solid advice. However, I don't agree with his ascent strategy. I ran his numbers in my spreadsheet for two dive scenarios: one with the change in ascent speed from 30 fpm to 10 fpm at 55 ft and the second with a constant 30 fpm ascent. Both dives were salt water, Buhlmann 16 as the algo, 60 fpm descent speed, 10 min at 129 ft, and a 5 minute safety stop at 15 ft. I had to use a GF of 99/99 to keep the dives out of deco. The change in ascent has the diver surfacing with a GF of 44 with a total RT of 27.9 minutes versus 34 and a RT of 19.3 minutes without the change. I think the added 8 minutes adds unnecessary inert gas loading. I do think slowing your ascent speed to 10 fpm for the last 15 ft to the surface is good because of the higher pressure difference and added time to check whats on the surface before arriving there.

Fyi there is no "beating" nitrogen narcosis. Everyone gets affected to some degree. It's your ability to recognize it's happening that you can improve, but you aren't really changing its effect. And ironically it gives you feelings of euphoria which is what you want to recognize because you can do things contrary to your survival.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom