First dive is next week, do i have to give up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

Let me explain the situation im in.

As part of my training to become a marine biologist, i decided to take diving lessons.

I started my first theory lessons a couple weeks ago, and the first dive is scheduled next Monday.

One thing i saw in class is the importance of equilibrating the pressure in your sinuses and how you should never ever dive with a runny nose, and how medication and sprays arent reliable to go around the problem.

My situation though is that ive had a runny nose for basically my entire life. Always had one nostril or tge other at all time partially or fully stuffed...

Am i screwed? This could seriously hamper my marine biologist career...

I've had some kind of un-diagnosed sinus problems all my life and I've never had any problems equalizing my ears. Most of the time I don't even have to blow through my nose to equalize--it's a jaw movement that works for me (unless I descend too quickly). For me I think the problem is stuff in the air (pollen, whoknowswhat) and it doesn't exist underwater :)

I’ve always had sinus problems also, on the first dive of the day it would take longer to equalize but after the initial decent it was a nonissue for the rest of the day. Also what I’ve found is that nothing clears the sinuses like a day of diving.

. Also what I’ve found is that nothing clears the sinuses like a day of diving.[/QUOTE]

AMEN

I have watched a lot of scuba classes and new divers. The problem is they feel they have to keep up with the instructor/guide. If you dive from shore you can be gentle. But often lessons mean you swim out on the surface and then descend. At this point you need to be in control of the situation. Do not blindly continue down to keep up with instructor and other students. If you feel a pressure building. Stop. Go up a bit and try to clear. Pushing on down through can ruin the dive, your day, and your hearing. My sinuses vary all over the place. Sometimes I can hot drop to the bottom in 90 fsw. Other times I have to stop go up and bit, get them gently clear and continue down. This is when they feel normal.

I've seen student divers deal with trouble equalising upon descending down 20' to the skill site. At times I was impressed how some calmly waited until they could equalise comfortably without worrying about following the group down.

I've seen student divers deal with trouble equalising upon descending down 20' to the skill site. At times I was impressed how some calmly waited until they could equalise comfortably without worrying about following the group down.

Good. They were probably taught well.

I don't have nearly as much experience as most people on this board, but since I definitely sympathize, I'll chime in. If this is a pool dive or class dive, isn't it sort of the point to take your time and see how your ears\sinuses do? The instructor should help you with this. Take it easy, don't "push through the pain" -- I messed up one of my ears doing this already (temporarily, fortunately). For me, equalizing by swallowing works better than the nose squeezing technique, but it can be tricky with a regulator and a dry mouth. The first few feet are actually the most important, so don't go down too fast.

I have had sinus issues for a while and sometimes it just takes a while to work my way down. As long as you can see the others, swim above them for a bit, until things work their way through. It's just part of the process. Personally, I started taking decongestant (Sudafed or Claritin D) before I dive, and that helps a lot. Things have worked out, and I've had a great time diving. However, don't take decongestant as a recommendation from me -- talk to your doctor and\or instructor first, since the instructional materials don't recommend it. And make sure you know how long whatever you take will last. You don't want it to wear off before you come back up. (There is another thread on here somewhere where Sudafed was referred to as "diver's candy.")

There you go. +1 to the last two posts.
Try to get some professional input re: this issue, and then when you go diving (even pool) just take your time.
It's hard to believe that you might have to equalize three times on the way to the bottom of a 10' practice pool.
But don't worry, it's all a function of pressure change. You need to equalize much less often, the deeper you go.

Not recommending pseudophed but I use it once in a while if slight congestion and seem able to clear without it. It affects different people differently. If you ever try it, test it on a nondive day first. Take an hour or two before the dive and use the 12 hour kind. Had a meetup with a DM to dive Catalina. He sounded congested. Offered him a couple pseudophed from my dive kit. He had never used it before. Forgot to tell him the dosage was one. Found out after two nice dives that he took both of them on the boat over and felt such a buzz that he almost thumbed the first dive.

Definitely get it checked out professionally - preferably by a doctor who is familiar with diving medicine.

Even if you can treat it temporarily, you do not want to be in the position of having the treatment wear off during ascent where it could cause a reverse block.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom