First Dive Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two line cutters, a Dive Rite and a Zeagle, mounted for maximum accessibility, one on my BC and one on my wrist. I also have a very handy ultra sharp cut down steak knife on my chest. The only other knife I take in the water is a lovely old Dacor, a fairly small knife that I found after Dacor did a catalog photo shoot in Negril 43 years ago. I really have no use for the Dacor, but I'll sometimes bring it along for old times sake. The other three items are absolute necessities for people like me who do most of their diving in shallow water where fishing lines seem to be everywhere. Dive knifes are pretty useless for recreational divers except as inferior line cutters.

I have a Trilobyte; I like it! If I were buying again, I'd go to Dive Gear Express's website and look at their very similar product that has a ceramic blade (shouldn't rust) - not that my cutter's blade's rusted fast enough to be a big bother.

I've had stainless steel knives and they had one thing in common (even the allegedly titanium-coated cheapie) - they rusted! I'm one of those people who does not apply TLC to knives after dives. After a trip, it goes in the soak tub with the rest of the gear. On day boat trips, it goes in the soak tank at the end of the dive day with the rest of the gear. There is no 'take it out, carefully dry the blade.'

Spyderco makes some of their knives with H1 steel. They do not rust. I have one, and it's been on a number of trips with my 'hands off' approach and didn't rust. I was told where they carve their letter on the blade, there might be trace rust because whatever bit does that may be made out of a different metal - and I can see a faint trace where that is. I read someone you can leave the blade in contact with a chlorine tablet (like used in swimming pools) for awhile and it will eventually corrode it. So I don't do that.

I've never found a good, solid, detailed pro.s and con.s breakdown of H1 steel vs. titanium dive knives.

My Spyderco didn't come with a BCD webbing sheath, which is the one gripe I have. You can rig yourself something if you want to go that route.

I agree with the others - figure out what all you want to do. A Trilobyte should cut line fine, but if you want a little prying tool or some such, there's something to be said for a knife. Or both.

I don't recommend a BFK, although I wear one, because of the change in attitude over the years. I'm old so I don't get much grief about it, and when another diver disparages the knife, I usually can point out the BFK has a higher dive count. Besides, if I were to take it off I'd probably swim in circles due to the loss of weight on one leg.

Over the years I have added to my rig, a small sharp knife, trilobite line cutter, and shears, which I do recommend. I've been known to add other implements of destruction dependent on the dive.

Bob

I'm not 100% sure of the material of either of my knives. I have a small Trilobyte line cutter that I got off of DGX and it stays on my computer strap on my wrist for easy access. I also have about a 3-4 inch blunt tip knife which has come in very handy cutting ropes too thick for the Trilo or long blades of kelp that wrap around my gear and lock me in place. I first tried mounting it on my calf since that was the easiest place for it to fit, but when reaching it like that I tended to roll over and over because I'm not very flexible in a 7mm wetsuit with a 7mm vest on top. Right now it's upside down on my left bicep, really easy to reach with my right hand, and I can move it to the inside or outside of my arm so the knife itself doesn't get tangled. Knives are required for scientific divers at my uni because of all the fishing line and lobster traps that get dumped. They've certainly come in handy.

I've never carried more than a trilobite while diving.

I don't recommend a BFK, although I wear one, because of the change in attitude over the years. I'm old so I don't get much grief about it, and when another diver disparages the knife, I usually can point out the BFK has a higher dive count. Besides, if I were to take it off I'd probably swim in circles due to the loss of weight on one leg.

Bob, the thought of you swimming in a circle due to lack of BFK weight made me chuckle. :D

I have two guy dive buddies, both a few years older than I am (so they’re mid 50s) who insist on diving with a BFK strapped to a calf - for Great Lakes or quarry diving. :D. I always make sure to gently rib them.

I have two guy dive buddies, both a few years older than I am (so they’re mid 50s) who insist on diving with a BFK strapped to a calf - for Great Lakes or quarry diving.

Should you accidentally encounter a bluegill on a nest, you need to be prepared to defend yourself....

Should you accidentally encounter a bluegill on a nest, you need to be prepared to defend yourself....

I’ve encountered them. I just defend myself with my hands. :D

Just get something that won't ruin your day when you drop it in real deep water...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom