First Dive Trip to Bermuda - Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard Mary Celeste, Hermes, and Minnie Bruselar... anyone have a top 4-5 wrecks that are "must sees"... also I'll be doing some novice photography, and I've heard that shooting b*w photos of these shallow wrecks make for some killer images..

Thanks!

D.

rpodos:
I'm pretty sure you can catch bugs if you do it with a locally licensed operator (again, not on air though).

Doubles are waaaay overkill... not only are the dives shallow, but most of the wrecks have been flattened by wave action to the point where penetration is not really an option.

You'll love the island, btw. Try to check out St. George at the far SE of the island... the original settlement. My wife and I were going to get married there, before deciding to elope to Harbour Island in the Bahamas. :) If you ever intend to go back, you might want to take a peek at the resorts that are built with cottages instead of a big hotel building; we've liked both 'Ariel Sands' and especially 'Horizons and Cottages'.

Daylonious:
I've heard Mary Celeste, Hermes, and Minnie Bruselar... anyone have a top 4-5 wrecks that are "must sees"... also I'll be doing some novice photography, and I've heard that shooting b*w photos of these shallow wrecks make for some killer images..

Thanks!

D.

Those three wrecks are good dives- the Hermes is a modern freighter, sunk in the mid 1980's-largely intact-hurricanes permitting. the Mari Celeste is a paddle wheel boat-broken up, but the paddlewheels are still intact (2004), The Mini B is a larger freighter. All 3 are on the south side of the island-a 5-10 min. boat ride from the beach of the Fairmont Southampton. Another nice South side wreck-although a bit further away, is the Pelannion (sp?).

Two other wrecks that are worth a looksee-although you might need to leave from DB Hamilton shop-are the Constellation and the Montana 25 yards or so apart. the Constellation, IIRC, was the inspiration for the wreck in Peter benchly's "The Deep"
It has many small glass bottles, slate, and many "concrete pillows"(the ship was carrying concrete in sacks when it sunk-the sacks are long gone, the concrete solidified.

Enjoy the trip,
Mike

Another great wreck is the Christobol Colon. It is actually located about 12 miles north of Bermuda near North Rock. It is actually Bermuda's largest wreck. It was a luxury cruise liner that ran aground on the reef when the captain misread the channel markers. You would probably have to leave from the Hamilton location for this one, and make a special request as they probably don't do it unless you ask.

Bring lots of money :)

Bermuda can be VERY expensive.

As for wrecks and reefs, try

www.divebermuda.com

Check out their Ultimate Guide pages for descriptions. Another nice and easy, although not spectacular site is the "airplane" wreck. It is southwest of your hotel, and while not intact by a long shot, it has some good animal photo opportunities. If you like swimthroughs and mini caverns, then another south-shore site is Hangover Hole.

Enjoy your stay in Bermuda!

Scubamax

The Mari Celeste is an interesting civil war steam paddlewheel light freighter but the 90% that was wood has full disintegrated (meaning that this is definitely not an obstructed overhead wreck dive). Fortunately, you will be there in time for the Bermuda lobster season [September to March], which they refer to as a "guinea chick". They are a tasty but pricey treat, which is supposed to be somewhat endangered. Other posts have given you plenty of suggestions for dives and operators. I would like to leave you with two miscellaneous tips. Take the fifteen block uphill walk, east of the Fairmont Southampton Hotel, to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse for a great view of the islands, from the top of this mid-nineteenth century cast-iron structure. Then, take a taxi, bus or a commuter boat to the town of Hamilton and go to the Hog Penney pub/restaurant. This place is not hip but is popular with locals, in a charming, old school sort of way. The food, drinks, clientèle and atmosphere are quite memorable.

Back
Top Bottom