First Dive Trip Without Instructor - Need to Rent Gear & Help Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavernFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A friend and I recently got our Cavern Diver certifications. We plan to go diving at Morrison Springs this weekend. We need to rent gear/air/nitrox and I want to understand the layout of the cavern before going so that I can plan our dive(s) to reduce the chances of bends/narcosis. I was considering using some dive planning software if it exists, or just referring to an online dive table, but then I realized I don't really understand how to read the various cavern maps of Morrison springs I have found online.

I know that we plan to do 2-3 dives, probably 45 minutes max each on Sunday and Monday.

Halp! ;-)

Last edited:
Maps of Morrison are going to come in one of two flavors: 1) Rough or 2) Rough and Obsolete. The ones I've found have been really hard to read.

But, to let you know, the main cavern at Morrison has a fairly shallow max depth. I can't remember exactly, but something like 45ft. If you have EANx32 tables (or can do a google image search to find the below picture), I'd transcribe the NDLs off of it onto a wrist slate or something.

The crew at Cave Adventurers can fill in details regarding depth and info on gear you'll need and they're about 45min East of Morrison.

2278465935_214aaec041_o.jpg

Last edited:
What is there that makes this dive any different than other dives? Use a dive table like PADI RDP or calculator as a eRDPml or dive computer. If you cannot I suggest going back to your open water instructor to learn how. If as shallow, 45' as victorzamora states no real need for nitrox

I can figure it out from a dive table. Just wanted to know if there were some software you guys use.

If as shallow, 45' as victorzamora states no real need for nitrox

Maybe you are thinking of tri-mix?

Tri-mix has a lower oxygen content and is used to go deeper. Nitrox has a higher O2 content and is recommended for all dives which do not exceed the for the particular mix as it has a lower chance of causing the bends / extends dive time.

36% Nitrox has a maximum operating depth of 95 ft before the partial pressure would hit 1.4. So if nowhere in Morrison (or wherever we end up if Morrison is flooded) exceeds this depth, I would think we would want to use Nitrox for the extended dive time / reduced nitrogen absorption.

Morrison has a max depth of @ 92’ in the bottom cavern depending on water levels. The upper cavern is roughly 40’ I believe but do not recall 100%. Morrison is probably blown out so Vortex would probably be your best bet unless you want to go to Jackson Blue. The max depth for the Vortex cavern is @67’ at the edge of the light zone if my memory serves me correct.

I can figure it out from a dive table. Just wanted to know if there were some software you guys use.

CaveAtlas.com » Cave Systems in United States
Caveatlas shows max depth for Morrison at 50'. So that might be a pretty safe number for planning.

For planning a lot of people use V-planner. Many computers also have a Dive plan mode that will give you basic info. Of course, Shearwter is ahead of the curve on this.

what was said on CDF holds true, the odds of Morrison being diveable this coming weekend are pretty much nonexistent due to the rain. I would consider amending your plan to Jackson Blue which will not get rained out.

@CavernFrog you're in cave country, you're going to get 30% or 32% nitrox depending on which shop you go to. You won't find 36% down there unless you get them to mix it for you and they'll look at you funny.

As far as maps, what you find here is as good as you're going to get.
CaveAtlas.com » Cave Diving » United States » Morrison Springs

Yep, probably will do Vortex then (will it be dive-able?) as we are staying in Destin and Jackson Blue is a 3 hour drive from Destin.

I only mentioned 36% as it would have even more conservative max depth. 32% is fine.

Maybe not the norm but in this case cave atlas is incorrect. Although you won’t always be at max depth Morrison can reach 90’ however most of the lower cavern is 40’-75’ I believe. I’ve never seen Vortex blown out other than from other divers causing low vis. It will be very busy on weekends so get there early if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom