First Diving Suit for Northern New England Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just did a quick search...

GLUE!?! :eek:

When in Rome...

Greetings Divers,

It looks like I am starting out diving wet. I visited my LDS last week and was very impressed with the people there. They have a group of folks that do regular local Saturday shore dives. And they all do it wet. We're talking from April through November, with special dives for New Year's Day, etc. They said the would sell me a dry suit if that is what I wanted...but when in Rome...

I certainly could have made all of the points in favor of drysuits that have been made in this thread, but these are people who I am hoping take me under their wing and help me become a better diver. I am new enough that being a copycat feels better. I suspect my second suit will be a drysuit, but until then...when in Rome...

To their credit, they seem to have figured out a way to make a wetsuit quite livable in our cold waters. They bring several large coolers of very hot water to the dive site. Then then pour containers of it down their suits before heading in. They claim to stay warm and comfortable this way, between the type of wetsuits they wear and the hot water trick.

Speaking of which, I am now the proud owner of:

A Waterproof W4 5mm;
A Waterproof Neoskin 1.5mm; and,
A Waterproof U1 2/5mm Hooded Vest

Apparently, I am fairly "normally shaped," (Good to know!), so everything fits properly and is comfortable, even despite the bulk of wearing all three pieces together.

I have been invited to bring my gear back and use their salt water pool to get everything dialed in before my first Saturday dive. Having my weight/trim roughly figured out, along with knowing what rental equipment I will need will keep me from being a needy pain on that first Saturday morning. I will most likely be able to get out there tomorrow to start figuring things out.

So there it is.

I am still very appreciative of your advice and opinions, but it looks like I will be getting into a drysuit in two bites instead of one.

As for the other sage advice I have received here, did I mention they are a Shearwater dealer? :D When I go to check out their pool, I will have my checkbook in hand for that Peregrine.

Step by step, inch by inch.

THANK YOU!

The hot water trick is well known. I'm surprised a 5mm rather than a 7.

You may be one who can dive wet year around, some do. I'm a wuss and use a drysuit.

I'm surprised a 5mm rather than a 7.

They believe a 5mm plus the 1.5mm skin exceed the thermal properties of a 7mm. And it gives me options for when the ocean around here is a balmy 63 degrees.

I'm a wuss and use a drysuit.

I think you are just smarted than me. I tolerate the cold pretty well. Fewer nerve endings in general perhaps? Fewer in my brain???

Like I said, I truly believe I will get there, especially I get older and my cold tolerance inevitably begins to fade. But for now, I am psyched to have my first exposure suit. Onward and upward!

They believe a 5mm plus the 1.5mm skin exceed the thermal properties of a 7mm. And it gives me options for when the ocean around here is a balmy 63 degrees.

I think you are just smarted than me. I tolerate the cold pretty well. Fewer nerve endings in general perhaps? Fewer in my brain???

Like I said, I truly believe I will get there, especially I get older and my cold tolerance inevitably begins to fade. But for now, I am psyched to have my first exposure suit. Onward and upward!

Have fun and enjoy and remember the number 1 rule......... if you see a shark, get good pictures.

I also found out that properly fitted multi-layer is better than one thick one.
You will find it out the answer yourself not anyone.
It is never too late buy a dry suit at the end.
Take one step at a time.

Good luck! For me, 7 mm of neoprene is tolerable down to about 60 degrees for 30 mins. After that, I’m cold and not happy anymore = not fun diving.

I have a friend who did tons of dives in NE including winter by using 7 mm farmer John style wetsuits. But having now used a neoprene drysuit... I don’t really get it. It’s easy to use and it’s much warmer. I don’t understand they drysuit apprehension.

anyway, any kind of diving is better than no diving! If you stick with it, you’ll probably end up dry anyway. But, we all spend a ton of money on this hobby. It won’t be the first time you’ll outgrow a purchase :wink:

Back
Top Bottom