First GoPro (7Black), Asia trip soon- filters of try white balance alone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Title says it all- do I need to invest in a Backscatter rig including macro, or just give it a try with white balance and/or post-production? Reviews seem to imply white balance much better on the 7. Also considering a Suptig light, inexpensive at 24-36$. Guidance?

Really depends on what you would like to shoot, depth, etc. For the light, you won't get much in terms of results until you're over 1,000 lumens and very close to the subject (note GoPro 12" minimum focus distance). I've detailed out when to use filters, lights and manual color correction in this article: GoPro Filters and Color Correction.

Between that and answers to the questions above, we should be able to get you dialed in for your trip!

Excellent overview article above. In my experience, min focal distance more like 18" but the conundrum remains. To get good color you need good light, to have good light you need to be close, and to be real close you need a macro lens. But you can get decent shots shooting in the 18-30" range.

It's all about light. Filters always reduce total amount of light reaching the sensor so they don't work well in very deep or low light situations. However, filters will give you the best out-of-the-camera color when post-processing is not desired.

Suptig. If you're talking about the rectangular arrays of 48-84 mini-leds, I bought a couple. Sounded perfect. Super cheap, lightweight, easy to operate, and bright. They were all that except... waterproof. They didn't outright flood but I suspect had condensation buildup issues. They would work great for 20 minutes then go haywire, either refusing to turn off or on, or cycling through modes on their own. A few days drying out and they worked fine on land again, back in the water and same thing. Got my money back. So so so close.

Back
Top Bottom