First incident - free flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when something goes wrong as a safety Regs will free flow or give too much air rather than no air...your friend should have been able to breath even if it was free flowing...was this not the case?

Im glad you said this.. Why spit out a reg thats giving you air?? I have had freeflows and I keep them in and breath the gas coming out..

when something goes wrong as a safety Regs will free flow or give too much air rather than no air...your friend should have been able to breath even if it was free flowing...was this not the case?

Im glad you said this.. Why spit out a reg thats giving you air?? I have had freeflows and I keep them in and breath the gas coming out..

When you have a freeflow at 39 F, it does not take long for your mouth to go completely numb and you can't feel your lips anymore to deal with the freeflow effectively. This can also complicate any other issues that may arise. It is so much easier to just switch to an alternate gas source if one is available. Even if that is not the original way we were trained to deal with a freeflow, if that gas switch is in your plan and you practice your plan, it should be acceptable. Using doubles or a pony for redundancy is very common in the freezing deeper waters of Ontario.

When you have a freeflow at 39 F, it does not take long for your mouth to go completely numb and you can't feel your lips anymore to deal with the freeflow effectively. This can also complicate any other issues that may arise. It is so much easier to just switch to an alternate gas source if one is available. Even if that is not the original way we were trained to deal with a freeflow, if that gas switch is in your plan and you practice your plan, it should be acceptable. Using doubles or a pony for redundancy is very common in the freezing deeper waters of Ontario.

Good point for where you dive...everyone has to take into consideration the condition where they are diving ...I would say that a majority of the divers on this board are not diving in 39 degree water...

If a reg is free flowing ..and that was my only option I would breath from it as long as possible..having numb libs may be a hinderance but I would still try to breath till I could no longer do so....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom