First live aboard pointers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Headed to Belize
Was wondering what to expect for daily routine / typical day...Any tricks of the trade. Gear recommendations I may not already have?
Packing list etc.. appropriate loungewear etc

I guess a second question is do you guys pack your iPads for photo editing and logging dives or do all of that once your back home...I feel like flying time would be good time to accomplish at least picture downloads.

Headed to Belize
Was wondering what to expect for daily routine / typical day...Any tricks of the trade. Gear recommendations I may not already have?

I guess a second question is do you guys pack your iPads for photo editing and logging dives or do all of that once your back home...I feel like flying time would be good time to accomplish at least picture downloads.

Every lob that I've been on, every one of the photographers had their laptops with them and many spent more time reviewing and editing than socializing. :D

Dress is very very casual. Take extra bathing suits. And a couple of clamp style clothes pegs. Example:
Screenshot_20191026-022705_Chrome.jpg

You can ask the aggressor guys for specific ‘luxuries’ and they will try to get them for you. One lady asked for coconut water and the guys went out and picked up 10 litres for her before the boat kicked off.

half/half or cream for coffee if that’s your thing.

‘electrolyte squeezes for your water bottle

‘big kleencanteen so you always have water nearby

take meds. Particularly stuff like Alka seltzer and Sudafed tablets for sinuses when everyone starts getting a head cold by day 4 :)

‘make sure you have a hood if you plan to night dive. Bloodworms can be fierce off lighthouse reef and you don’t want to be digging worms out of your ear canal....seriously, don't forget that.

‘hanging shoe organizer to hang on back of door and put all bathroom products etc into is also useful. Especially on BA 111.

A power strip but ask the crew WHERE you can plug it in. If charging batteries, some have an area they can monitor so won't want it in your cabin unattended.(fire risk)

Most have limited storage space so collapsible luggage is good. Some j/a on one trip brought a huge Pelican case for his camera gear, the only place they could store it was on the dive deck behind the door. I'll bet someone (including me) kicked it once a day.

I personally bring the crew tip in cash as they appreciate being able to get it immediately instead of waiting for disbursement from their corporate office.

Some j/a on one trip brought a huge Pelican case for his camera gear, the only place they could store it was on the dive deck behind the door. I'll bet someone (including me) kicked it once a day.

don’t pretend that diveboats don’t target and cater to photographers or tell them to limit their equipment.Transporting thousands of dollars of photography equipment properly doesn’t make you a jackass buddy, it makes you responsible. It’s purpose built equipment.

Headed to Belize

Whenever I go on liveaboard (~ 20x), all I do is dive, eat, socializing, sleep, and repeat, The dives could be as many as 5x / day. Although I bring my laptop & underwater camera, I don't have time to edit pictures while in the boat.

Always bring extra layers under wetsuit. For warm water diving destination with water temperatures are ranging from 78-82F, I bring 3mm full wetsuit, 2mm hood, rash guard & 2mm shorty to put over the 3mm full wetsuit. After 3-4 days of diving 3-5x / day, you will get cold.

I'll bring a week supply of Amoxicillin too in my "First Aid" kit, just in case.

I asked a similar question before I went on the Belize Aggressor III and got great responses, like in this thread. In case you haven't seen it: Tips for the Belize Aggressor III?

Every lob that I've been on, every one of the photographers had their laptops with them and many spent more time reviewing and editing than socializing. :D

Dress is very very casual. Take extra bathing suits. And a couple of clamp style clothes pegs. Example:View attachment 546839
We stopped taking clothes pins. Just loop your swim suit around a pole.

As I recall, the boat swings widely on some of the moorings there. Don't try to chase it, just hang out over a distinctive patch of coral and wait for it to come back. Try to not wave your light around on the night dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom