First live aboard pointers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set of those, absolutely hate them as the string comes out everytime I wash it, even if I leave it tied

Yeah, that happened to me, I ordered a medium and don't need the string.

I'll check out the Mako ones for my next set, thanks

You forgot the pheromones and urine soaked garments?

Well, there ya have. That must explain it. :p

You can ask the aggressor guys for specific ‘luxuries’ and they will try to get them for you. One lady asked for coconut water and the guys went out and picked up 10 litres for her before the boat kicked off.

half/half or cream for coffee if that’s your thing.

‘electrolyte squeezes for your water bottle

‘big kleencanteen so you always have water nearby

take meds. Particularly stuff like Alka seltzer and Sudafed tablets for sinuses when everyone starts getting a head cold by day 4 :)

‘make sure you have a hood if you plan to night dive. Bloodworms can be fierce off lighthouse reef and you don’t want to be digging worms out of your ear canal....seriously, don't forget that.

‘hanging shoe organizer to hang on back of door and put all bathroom products etc into is also useful. Especially on BA 111.

Sudafed, Pseudoephedrine, is contraindicated at 100+feet where the effects of nitrogen narcosis will enhance the effects of Sudafed or alcohol, or both

Any meds that are contraindicated with alcohol should probably not be used below 90fsw or whatever you think is safest because the narcotic effect of depth will enhance the medical effects of the drug taken in a similar way that any depressant will.

Sudafed, Pseudoephedrine, is contraindicated at 100+feet where the effects of nitrogen narcosis will enhance the effects of Sudafed or alcohol, or both

Do you have a source for the Sudafed piece of this? I use Sudafed (24 hour when I can get it, 12 hour if I can't) and don't restrict myself on depth, nor have I noticed any issues.

Do you have a source for the Sudafed piece of this? I use Sudafed (24 hour when I can get it, 12 hour if I can't) and don't restrict myself on depth, nor have I noticed any issues.
Can You Mix Alcohol and Sudafed?

That's because Sudafed itself is an "upper" and uppers and downers tend to cancel each other out.

Cocaine will make a drunk man sober.

But, they have off-chances of strange happenings, straight-up heart attack being one of them.

Sooooo, generally, healthy person, prime fitness, no known issues, mixing any downer with an upper isn't going to have an overt negative impact. It's this principle that NARCAN is effective against Opiates/opioids. Narcan (Naloxone Hydrochloride Injection): Side Effects, Interactions, Warning, Dosage & Uses

A more extreme version of an "upper". Notice that while Tachycardia and Hypertension is expected, the actual side effects are all over the place.

But the off-chance is still there, with something like Sudafed. Over the counter stuff will have a much more mild impact than anything that is proscribed/controlled.

But it's good to state the general "why" something can be an issue, than rely upon the fact most people might not have an issue, but does not negate the principles.

Lastly. Navy Dive Manual contraindicates any medicine as requiring sign-off by Dive Medical Officer specifically due to effect of Nitrogen Narcosis as (quoting manual) "enhancing the effect of drug as if taking narcotics."

So they seem to think there's a strong correlation to Narcosis, a narcotic effect, and its impact on taking any medication.

I also think I'm nitpicking in this case, but we get to nitpick and then choose what's worth acting upon, based on our accepted tolerance of risk, and our experience.

But experience can betray us, and our risk tolerance may impede our experiences, so it's all a personal comfort level thing, at least...in recreational.

Any meds that are contraindicated with alcohol should probably not be used below 90fsw or whatever you think is safest because the narcotic effect of depth will enhance the medical effects of the drug taken in a similar way that any depressant will.

‘good point, I should have mentioned the sudafed is for nighttime to help you sleep, not before a dive

That's because Sudafed itself is an "upper" and uppers and downers tend to cancel each other out.

Not necessarily. The narcan you mentioned isn't an 'upper' (I've never heard of anyone abusing it, either, as opposed to, say, methamphetamine) but rather an agent to block the action of opiate narcotics in the body.

Sooooo, generally, healthy person, prime fitness, no known issues, mixing any downer with an upper isn't going to have an overt negative impact. It's this principle that NARCAN is effective against Opiates/opioids.

Cocaine will make a drunk man sober.

No. There's more to drunkeness than suppression of consciousness. I suppose it might help you stay awake, but it isn't expected to reverse the intoxicating effect of alcohol. Cocaine and alcohol exert their influence in the brain via different pathways.

Notice that while Tachycardia and Hypertension is expected, the actual side effects are all over the place.

Pick a medication. Make it a prescription medication, if you want to be assured it's probably in the reference I'm about to suggest. Now, go online and look for the PDR (Physicians' Desk Reference) section on it, a.k.a. the 'package insert.' Read till your brain goes to sleep and you pass out. It will become apparent most any medication will have a scary sounding 'all over the place' listing of potential side-effects.

DAN has had articles in the past (and you can turn it up with some Googling; I just did) discussing Sudafed from a diving perspective. There are potential issues with it. And there are many of us out there who use it often in recreational diving.

There is speculation about theoretical risks, yes. I don't think there's a hard & fast experimentally determined depth limit.

That said, it's good for people to be aware it's a matter of potential concern and make their own informed decisions about it.

Pick a medication. Make it a prescription medication, if you want to be assured it's probably in the reference I'm about to suggest. Now, go online and look for the PDR (Physicians' Desk Reference) section on it, a.k.a. the 'package insert.' Read till your brain goes to sleep and you pass out. It will become apparent most any medication will have a scary sounding 'all over the place' listing of potential side-effects.

DAN has had articles in the past (and you can turn it up with some Googling; I just did) discussing Sudafed from a diving perspective. There are potential issues with it. And there are many of us out there who use it often in recreational diving.

There is speculation about theoretical risks, yes. I don't think there's a hard & fast experimentally determined depth limit.

That said, it's good for people to be aware it's a matter of potential concern and make their own informed decisions about it.
The very first LOB I was on I was having some real problems sleeping on the boat. There was a doctor on board who offered my some Ambien. Although I would love a good night's sleep, one of the side effects apparently is sleep walking. I thought that might not be a good idea on a boat. I had NO desire to test the boat's "Man Overboard" procedures firsthand.

Back
Top Bottom