• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

First liveaboard advice

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by MrBigfins, Jan 27, 2020.

1. MrBigfins

MrBigfins ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks Hoag

Hoag likes this.
  2. Hoag

Hoag Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hey, it is your first LOB. You're asking a lot of logical questions that you have obviously put some thought into.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  3. MrBigfins

I'm trying, half of the fun for me is the planning and research I put into trips before I go. I tend to geek out on the details beforehand. It helps to assage my impatience be on the trip already. For example I'm packed for a trip that doesn't leave for a month and a half lol

chillyinCanada and Hoag like this.
  4. Rickk

Rickk Barracuda

Not only for live aboard but for all international travel.

Lots of countries will not allow you to import some common over the counter medications. Medications that are common in every country and even available locally sometimes cannot be carried across the border. (The UAE is especially tough on this.)

I always look and am careful taking decongestants into a country as these sometimes are on the banned list, especially if they contain compounds that can be made into illegal drugs. (meth)

5. ofg-1

ofg-1 Course Director

Remember, you will be sharing a head with other people. I can pass along sage advice given to me by Captain Bill Crawford of the old Good Time Charlie in Key Largo. "When you're going out to sea, even men sit down to pee".

6. Peter Bomberg

Peter Bomberg Solo Diver

I vote for newskin/moleskin (both preventative and reactive use).

MrBigfins likes this.
  7. KrisR

KrisR Angel Fish

One of the funniest things iv seen on a liveaboard was between 2 single Male travellers who were sharing a room. One guy who couldn’t sleep brought a white noise machine- but he turned it up to full volume and put his earplugs in- his room mate who didn’t have earplugs was raging. I found this hilarious.

eleniel, outofofficebrb and MrBigfins like this.
  8. mcohen1021

mcohen1021 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    What boat?

My tips:

1. Dive deck: It can be windy, and that can/will chill you as well as make putting gear on/off/away a challenge. Be 1st to the boat and take a well protected spot, preferably where the door to the galley is.
    2. Take a ditch [dry] bag with the things you MUST HAVE if you had to jump ship.
    3. I only took a 5 mil suit. No socks, no hood, no gloves. I was never cold until back on the boat. For that I have a hoodie neoprene jacket – and yes I put it on over my wetsuit until I was out of the wind. You can get this one like mine for $110 but this isn’t a bad price either:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyperflex-Playa-2mm-Neoprene-Jacket-Black/22062329?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=17363&adid=22222222227015927715&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52619178431&wl4=pla-84495924671&wl5=9026839&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=120820433&wl11=online&wl12=22062329&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsp2-mqm75wIV5__jBx3rpQTbEAkYBCABEgIWAvD_BwE
    4. Take your own liquor for after the dive day.
    Have a great time and please post a review, pics and vids.

rongoodman likes this.
  9. MrBigfins

Is it improper etiquette if that white noise machine had abandoned ship?

KrisR likes this.
  10. MrBigfins

Socorro Aggressor
    1.I got a boat coat for this situation as it's something others brought up as well
    2.i keep my save a dive kit in a waterproof box, and bring a spare that holds my medicines while traveling, I intend to switch this to my ho box while on boat.
    3. See note for 1
    4. Not a big drinker but I do intend to snag a bottle of tequila that I may sip an evening or two, especially since there are no night dives (sad about that)
    I will post pics, reviews and videos. I intend to take more video then I normally do so we will see how that goes. Thanks everyone for the sage advice so far, I'm sure that my trip will be better because of it.

Redfoot likes this.