• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

First look at the "Economics" of a Tech Diving Instructor

Discussion in 'Business of Diving Institute' started by Darcy Kieran, Jul 3, 2021.

1. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Loss or fairly close at times. I was warned that businesses that generate regular losses are determined to be hobbies and no longer considered businesses, unless the owner's last name is Trump. If it is just a hobby, then your losses fall under "sucks to be you."

There was a lot more to it than that. My accountant made my head spin.

Darcy Kieran likes this.
  2. SlugMug

SlugMug Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Not to nitpick too much, but Google is definitely not your friend (I use DuckDuckGo mostly) & if you don't know what to search for, you won't find good results.

Thanks for sharing the info though!

3. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I'm pretty upfront about my costs, so that students understand the justification for the prices I charge. Most people have no objection with me earning $15/hour. There is a good reason why many good instructors have daily rates. If a student simply can't meet performance requirements within a typical time frame, it doesn't make sense to give extra time without compensation. Good instructors who charge daily rates are not looking to milk students for as much as they can. Their reputation is affected by the speed in which their students learn new skills. They just want their students to have skin in the game as well if they need more time. No one should object to this. As most dive pros are paid peanuts, no one should be surprised that there are so many monkeys.

SlugMug, markmud and Darcy Kieran like this.
  4. Darcy Kieran

Darcy Kieran Business of Diving Institute