First ocean open water, so disappointed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had friends come out to visit me from back home in Ohio. Some in the "winter" and as soon as we hit the beach they want to jump in and ask me to come along. I just tell them I will be out there in a minute after I secure our stuff.....then I sit back and watch as they find out just how cold the water is out here.

It shocked me when I moved here. People think because we have such gorgeous weather all the time that the water is warm but they don't realize where that water is coming from.

So I always try to get my friends to come out in the winter. It is the evil in me that likes to see them suffer for a minute.
L.A. ocean temps. range from 58 to 68. Ohioans shouldn't be suffering too much swimming in 58.

L.A. ocean temps. range from 58 to 68. Ohioans shouldn't be suffering too much swimming in 58.

They get down to 50 at times but Ohioans don't swim in cold water. They swim in pools and warm lakes and ponds in the summer.

My wife has anxiety issues with the cold water gear. Since you reside in Utah, try renting some cold water gear and just do some snorkeling. This can be done in shallow water and get you used to the gear. As you get more comfortable then add more gear. Snorkel with BCD for a while, then add a tank and snorkle. You do not need to add weights until you are ready to actually dive. Everything I have explained so far can be done in shalow water.
Weight is one of the areas where I find people over estimate in cold water. I would recommend a peak performance buoyancy class.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a panic attack during one of my OW training dives. Same kind of situation - not used to the suit, feeling claustrophobic. I was really nervous about my first post-cert. dives but I did them in tropical, calm conditions and I've never looked back. I've done a lot more challenging dives since, but I think I needed those 'easier' early dives to gain that level of comfort.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread so forgive any repetition. As has been mentioned, diving site and conditions have a profound effect on a new diver's first impressions. Even if you were experienced, it doesn't sound like your dive would have been fun at all.

However, I would also like to mention that pre-dive prep is important. Sometimes being rushed as you kit up, or struggle with your exposure suit can raise your stress level. Being in a crowded area with everyone buzzing around getting their equipment together can be chaotic... especially on a day boat. Try to plan ahead. Take your time to set up your gear at a relaxed pace, try to be ready to go before the mad rush to jump in the water. When putting on your wet suit, slow down and don't struggle as it can get tiring and also raise your heart rate. Go over your equipment methodically and slowly and do the same during your buddy check. Take some time to chill before the dive and get into the right state of mind. The more prepared and relaxed you are going into the water, the better off you will be as the dive progresses. Believe me, it makes a difference... especially when you're just starting out and trying to get comfortable in the water and your equipment.

Lastly, being properly weighted is very important and it may take a few dives to fine tune it, but it can make a big difference in how streamlined you are moving through the water. If you're overweighted you will try to compensate by over-filling your BC which creates excessive drag and unnecessary effort to move in the water... that can get tiring and you will be using up more gas at a faster rate... this faster rate of breathing can also be a cause of stress. When you're weighting is optimal, you can move with ease and breathe at a slower rate... the buoyancy control will come from your lungs. So again, the more relaxed you are, the calmer your breathing will be... and that creates a better mindset as you progress through the dive - hopefully letting you enjoy the scenery.

Good luck and take it easy.

Nasser, Agree about the "rush/buzzing" on a boat. When I was a new diver I always felt rushed when all on board were given the OK to gear up. Like it's a race. Also agree about the heart rate gearing up. As I aged, my routine went to 1. gear up. 2. walk to shore. 3. stand for a while to get normal heart rate. 4. Pee. 5. dive.

Last edited:
Nasser, Agree about the "rush/buzzing" on a boat. When I was a new diver I always felt rushed when all on board were given the OK to gear up. Like it's a race. Also agree about the heart rate gearing up. As I aged, my routine went to 1. gear up. 2. walk to shore. 3. stand for a while to get normal heart rate. 4. Pee. 5. dive
Funny cause as I get older mine goes something like this....1. gear up. 2. pee. 3. walk to edge of boat. 4. pee. 5. get normal heart rate. 6. pee. 7. dive 8.pee.

Diving isn't for everyone. Are you diving because you want to, or to please your boyfriend and son?

@Jackie W keep us up to date on your progress. Would love to hear you having a better second outing.

BTW I just spotted your profile pic - Scott Monument in Edinburgh if I am not mistaken. How did you like my home city?

One of my very first dives we were about 60 ft down and my fun snapped and when someone else tried to put it back on (mind you I was standing on a wreck at the time)....I started to fall backwards and panicked and shoot straight to the surface like lightning.

That being said it happens to all of us. As many others have already said. ...try a more conducive dive spot. Relax and enjoy. But calling the dive was the right thing to do. Never be afraid to call it a day

But I have seen to many new divers develop a fear of panic and not dive again. .don't let that happen to you. .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom