First pics of one of my HOG D-1's coverted to Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got a couple kits in and used one to convert one of my own 1st stages. Simple procedure after removing the DIN assembly. I made a custom wrench to do the job. Then verified the correct torque on the fitting. Here are a few pics. I have another on hand if someone wants me to switch theirs. PM me for details and price. The finish is a match to the D-1 and the fit is excellent. I will be trying it in the water next weekend.
. d1 yoke1.jpgd1 yoke 2.jpgd1 yoke 3.jpgd1 yoke 4.jpg

LOL. You know, it almost looks a little wrong.

Jim - I'd love to see a photo of it on a cylinder, next to one with the old school convertor, so we can see how the protrusion is different. Just a thought ;-)

I will see if I can do that tomorrow. I'll grab a couple of my stages and set them up on there with minimal hoses so it's a clear picture. Will have to put a yoke insert in one.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jim,
Looking forward to the dive report and the comparison pictures. Is this something you think could be changed out intermediately and be OK? I'm not talking about everyday but if more of if I need a DIN/Yoke change every couple of months could this work instead of buying a new regulator?

I used to do just that with a couple other regs I had. And it seemed to be ok for a time. But then I started to think of the repeated stress on the threads and while I didn't have any issues, I work in a machine shop. The more you unscrew something and put it back together the more you increase the chance of something going wrong. Personally rather than risking it and having to buy a new reg anyway and now have one good one and one bad one, I'd choose to just get another first stage and swap hoses if need be. Much less torque on those fittings.

I converted over one of my D1s to yoke the other day. I setup a spare D1 on another tank to show the difference. By the eye it looks to be a little more than an inch reduction by using the native yoke compared to using the converter. Although I am not using the Hog conversion kit on mine, size wise it looks pretty close to the one that Jim posted in the OP.

Native Yoke
DSCN0216.jpg

Din to Yoke Converter
DSCN0217.jpg

I may do the same to the regs that I use for students. Right now I am having them use the DIN to Yoke adapter and it appears to be working fine but I like the idea of having it set up with Yoke since all of my student cylinders are Yoke. I wish they had the pro-valves in them so I could use just DIN

Thanks Jim! Now I have something to show the wife to convince her I need a new reg :D

Cruisedivers pics.show about what I discovered as well. I took pics but have not had time to post them. Moot now. But I also never had an issue with clearance on mine using the adapter with a bpw or my express tech. If anyone does want the conversion done shoot me a pm for costs. Or to order a new reg and have it done before shipping. You will still get the DIN fitting sent to you along with it. I don't need a bunch of those lying around.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom